Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Later that evening, I sat at the dining room table with the McGallens. Their private cook, a polite Hispanic girl named Rosa, carried in platters of steaming delicacies. I licked my lips as she brought in a plate of salmon. I love salmon. At the head of the table, as usual, was President McGallen, reading a newspaper. Mrs. McGallen, sitting on his right hand side, chastised him. He sighed, folding up his newspaper and rubbing his eyes. I raised an eyebrow, swallowing my huge juicy bite of salmon.

"Everything all right, sir?" I asked.

President McGallen placed his chin in his palm and nodded, smiling a small smile at me. I cut off another bite of salmon and popped it into my mouth. I don't believe him. He looks tired. Tired and nervous. Under the table, I could hear his foot tapping anxiously on the carpet.

"Yes, Ember, everything's fine. The economy hasn't been doing too well, that's all." he replied, looking down at his plate and pushing around his food, but not eating.

I sighed but decided not to press the issue. Besides, I have my own problem to deal with right now. As soon as I got home, I stored the file in a safe place in my room. Cassandra and Ariana were still meeting when I walked in the door, so I took over for the remainder of it. The Secret Service agent who'd taken my place while I was out looked slightly relieved when I told him I'd take over. Apparently, even Secret Service agents get sick of hearing girly talk and planning. I don't blame him. I'm a girl and even I get sick of girly talk sometimes.

"So, everyone, your father and I have an announcement to make." Mrs. McGallen said after several minutes of awkward silence.

It was almost like the world stopped moving. All forks and chewing stopped, heads turning towards Mrs. McGallen, who glowed with happiness. Oh shit.

"Mom, are you pregnant?" Ariana blurted.

Mrs. McGallen laughed.

"Oh, honey, of course not. Oh, God, no. This factory is closed, trust me."

A ripple of laughter ran through everyone sitting around the table. Even the Secret Service agent standing in the corner of the room smiled. Thank God. I don't think I could handle another McGallen. I can barely handle the ones they got now! Skylar's a douche. Preston is adorable. Ariana has improved greatly. And Joshua...well, he's a gorgeous guy with a killer upper body and a cute butt.

"Thank God." I said aloud.

Mrs. McGallen mock glared at me. I chuckled and sipped iced tea from my glass. It was delicious.

"Yes, Ember, I'm sure you have your hands full with us already, don't you?" she asked, a smirk crossing her ruby red lips.

She knows me so well. I nodded, smiling.

"Yes, ma'am."

Mrs. McGallen rolled her eyes and cleared her throat, sipping her wine before clearing her throat again and speaking.

"Anyway, as I was going to say, your father and I have decided that-"

Suddenly, just as Mrs. McGallen was going to announce her news, the doorbell rang. President McGallen rose to answer it, but I beat him to it.

"Oh, no you don't." I said, placing my napkin on my unfinished plate and walking out of the dining room.

Nobody followed me as I made my way to the front door, fixing my hair before answering the door. Standing on the doorstep, smiling at me, was a celebrity I knew from her numerous red carpet appearances. Jennifer Lawrence.

"Hello. Is Ariana home? I need to talk to her about something." she asked, smiling politely.

I nodded.

"Yeah, come in. I'll get her." I said, stepping aside so the Oscar winning superstar could come in.

"Thank you." she said, stepping through the doorway and into the foyer.

I closed the door behind her and called out, "Ariana! Someone's here to see you." Jennifer looked around the foyer with curiosity. Standing watch at the door were two Secret Service agents. I nodded at them.

"Hello, men." I said.

"Evening, Ember." one replied.

"Hello Miss Rhinehart." the other answered.

Jennifer raised an eyebrow, impressed. I shrugged. Yeah, yeah, I know Secret Service agents. Let's move along here.

"It's strange not seeing you in your usual ensemble." Jennifer said, her eyes raking me over.

I shrugged and glanced down at my outfit. Yoga pants and a navy camisole (along with a hidden knife and my handgun at my lower back.) I shrugged again, meeting her eyes.

"I'm off bodyguard duty right now."

Suddenly, Ariana walked into the foyer, greeting Jennifer warmly. I left the girls to do their thing and went straight to my room. I have to go review that file at some time, don't I? I bounded up the stairs and locked myself in my bedroom as I pulled the manila folder out of it's hiding spot. Time to get down to business.