Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Ariana squealed as the limo pulled into the red carpet event of the year. The tinted (and bulletproof, might I add) windows were rolled up fully as to avoid the press and media officials waiting ever so anxiously for the superstars in music and movies to arrive. I sat next to Ariana, wearing a dark green one shoulder chiffon dress (courtesy of Ariana's closet) and peep toe black heels. The dress, which was floor length, had a small slit in the side that was barely detectable underneath the layers of chiffon. I wore my uncomfortable thigh holster with, yes, my handgun. It's practically an accessory. I wear it so often. 

My dark auburn ringlets, although very unruly, were pulled back into a complicated updo and plastered to my head with what had to be three cans of hairspray and a tube of gel. Two tendrils framed each side of my face. My makeup was absolutely flawless (courtesy of Ariana's personal makeup artist, Gabrielle Lowell). I have to hand it to Ariana's little crew. They do a hell of a good job. I've never been "done up" (as they liked to say) so much, aside from a few missions in the Middle East and another in Japan. Even then, I have to do my own makeup on missions. I thought did a good job. 

On my left sat Joshua. He looked one hundred percent, drop dead gorgeous in a tuxedo. His hair, which hadn't been tamed, was masterfully styled with as little gel as possible. When Ariana's hair stylist (a recent college grad named Hayley Crawford) did him up, she said his hair was already shiny enough. Somehow, Hayley had managed to change his hair from cute and untidy to sexy and panty dropping. He tugged anxiously at his collar. His knee bounced up and down. Unlike the rest of the McGallens, he isn't used to public appearances as huge as a red carpet event. Hell, neither am I. I'm used to staying beige and in the shadows. My cover is to be Ariana's BFF for this event (orders from Jonathan after I told them about Archer and the ACE this afternoon). Put simply, I have to act like a normal teenage girl. Bubbly, smiley, and (to a certain degree) starstruck. Sounds easy? Hell no. Anyone who knows me, and knows the truth about what I am, knows that I am anything but an average girl. This is going to be a challenge. 

The limo came to a complete stop. Not a minute later, the driver opened the door and we were soon engulfed by camera flashes and screaming fans. Ariana stepped out first, putting on her seven million dollar smile and waving at the insane crowds. Security guards and barriers blocked off the red carpet from the herds of people, but the barriers didn't work too well. People were already breaking their boundaries and attempting to climb over them. I stepped out next, blinking against the flashes of the cameras. I quickly caught up to Ariana, who sparkled in a purple sequin and diamond dress. She struck poses for the cameras and blew kisses to the crowd. 

I watched her closely, studying. This is a flip. I'm watching Ariana now instead of her watching me to see what to do. This is uncharted territory for me. So, I played along with my cover. Posing for photos with Ariana, arms locked, and laughing at interviewers questions. Joshua strolled closely behind, looking oh-so-dapper in his tuxedo. A few girls in the crowd started screaming. 

"Joshua, we love you!" 

"Joshua McGallen is the sexiest guy in the entire world!"

"Can I have your autograph?"

"Kiss me, Joshua!"

Joshua's lips twisted into a lopsided grin. I almost swooned. He stood among the celebrities with a confidence I've rarely ever seen him use. Straight backed and important. I smiled. Ariana tugged on my arm, bringing me back from my fantasy land. The interviewer she stood with, a blonde woman I didn't recognize but probably should for my cover's sake, watched me intently and held the microphone in front of my face. The cameraman poised the camera on me, waiting. They'd asked me a question, didn't they? Dammit.

"I'm sorry, what?"

The interviewer laughed, as did the cameraman and Ariana. My cheeks heated in an embarrassed blush.

"I said, What's your name?" the interviewer asked in a sugary sweet tone.

I leaned forward to talk into the microphone, but it was already a centimeter away from my lips. Ew. Gross. How many people have used this before? I brushed off my embarrassment with an air-headed little giggle.

"Oh. My name is Lissy. Lissy Stellar."

The interviewer smiled a sweet smile, but I caught her eyes doing a quick sweep over me. Jealously flashed for a millisecond in the dark blue pools. I tried to act like I hadn't noticed her sizing me up. If only she knew what I really am...

"Well, Lissy, are you excited for your first Grammy's?"

I nodded, tossing my hair over my shoulder. It was a sign Joshua and I came up with. Jonathan didn't want me in the cameras too much (for security purposes), so he told me to come up with a signal for Joshua to come and get me. I knew he saw it when I heard familiar footsteps come up behind me and felt a familiar hand come down on my shoulder.

"Lissy, Ariana, come on. We don't want to have our seats taken now do-"

"Oh, look who's come to join us. Joshua McGallen himself."

The interviewer pushed past Ariana and I. My temper spiked. She straightened her low-cut silk blouse so her cleavage was showing and flipped her hair over her shoulder flirtatiously. I clenched my hands into fists. They itched to connect themselves with her jaw. Ruin some of that Botox-

"Whoa, Ember, calm down. You look like you're going to kill Melissa."

"That's because I am. Hold me back." I answered through gritted teeth.

Ariana grabbed my arms as I started walking towards the interviewer (Melissa.) She adjusted her dress again, her cleavage bursting even more from the low cut dress. My eyes darted between Melissa and Joshua. Joshua caught my gaze. His gray eyes flashed a look that clearly said don't worry, sweetheart. I relaxed, nodding as he excused himself from Melissa and walked over to me. I caught her watching him retreat out of my peripheral. He smiled at me, placing his hand on my lower back and kissing me full on the lips. I smiled against his mouth, catching what he's trying to do. Out of my peripheral, when Joshua pulled away and wrapped his arm around me, I saw Melissa's eyes flash jealously. That's what you get for flirting with my boyfriend, bitch. Without another glance at her, Joshua, Ariana, and I walked the rest of the red carpet with plenty of photo ops and more people vying for an interview. 

(Hello everyone! So I started school today. I only got lost twice in my new school so that's good...I guess. I have Honors classes and I love them so far. Key words being "so far". I'm sorry again if this sucks! I promise the next chapter will be better! I'm running on two hours of sleep so sorry for the grammar and spelling mistakes. I can't apologize enough if there's a lot of them. I'll edit it soon. Bye-Bye for now! Vote and Comment!)