Chapter 26

Chapter 26

An hour later, I sat with Joshua at the dining room table, clutching clay mugs of Margaret's favorite tea. I never drink tea (coffee's more my thing), but sometimes the smell and feeling of the warm beverage makes me feel better. The steam rising from the mug warmed my cheeks. I stated into the dark amber and brown liquid. Joshua spoke up first.

"Ember, what was that...dark angel speaking earlier? It doesn't sound like any language I've ever heard."

I sighed, placing my chin in my palm. Joshua watched me intently, yet gently at the same time.

"It was a demonic language. We called it Daemonium, back in training. The word daemon means demon in Latin."

Joshua nodded, clearing his throat. We sat in an awkward silence until he had another question. Honestly, I don't care that it's four in the morning. He can ask away. I wasn't planing on going back to sleep anyway. I doubt anyone is.

"Did you understand it?"

I shook my head.

"No. It's impossible for a Nephilim to understand Daemonium, even with being taught. Just like it's impossible for a dark angel to understand Angelic."

Joshua raised an eyebrow.

"Does that mean you..."

I nodded as he trailed off. His eyes widened in awe. I smiled partially.

"Yes, I do. Every Nephilim does. We're born with an innate ability to do so. The minute we learn any other language, we understand Angelic as well."

I waited for Joshua to insert a witty joke or clever quip, but he didn't. The dark bags under his eyes were enough to suggest that. I placed my hand over his, stroking his knuckles with my thumb. He didn't smile. Just stared into his mug, contemplating. I sighed. What a crazy night.

"Joshua, if you have any questions, at all, about what happened, please ask me. I'll answer the best I can."

Joshua glanced up at me. I gave him a small smile. He sighed, leaning across the table to place a soft kiss on my lips. I kissed him back. He pulled away all too soon.

"I know you will, and I love you for it. I guess I just need to comprehend. I knew dating a spy would be interesting."

I agreed. Although, I wouldn't necessarily use interesting. Maybe..different? Idon't know. Our relationship has been tested and pulled and stretched in so many different ways so far already.

"Joshua, I'm not a burden to you, am I?"

Joshua's head shot up, shaking vehemently. He grasped my hands in his, leaning towards me.

"Of course not! Ember, you have no idea how much I love you. I can't even think of enough words that could tell you how much you mean to me. Spy or not, you're my girlfriend. You're my other half. Don't ever think, even for a second, that you burden me."

I smiled. Love glowed in his eyes. I love him too. So much. If we were to ever break off... I honestly would be truly heartbroken. Truly, passionately heartbroken. I closed the distance between us. His hand came up to cup my face, kissing me intently. All his love poured into the kiss and I could only think one thought. I love him. I love Joshua Maddox-McGallen. Forever and always. In my mind's eye, I pictured me in a big white dress and him in a black tuxedo standing before an altar, exchanging rings and vows. Promises and love. Kisses and untold beginnings. The image made me extremely giddy. My future. Exactly how I want it to be.