Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Sighing, I shoved my hands into the pockets of my jeans. My foot tapped anxiously on the scuffed linoleum floor. The tapping noise it made was the only sound in the sterile room. Meanwhile, the agent in front of me attempted to track where the call came from. I gnawed on my nail, which I don't usually do. Hell, I'm rarely nervous.

"Find anything?" I asked to break the overwhelming silence.

My colleague at the computer shook his head, his eyes scanning the screen. I swore inwardly and started pacing out of lack of anything to do. The quiet room was engulfed in computers and TV screens mounted on the wall. All of the computers except the one my colleague was at held the registered CIA screen-saver. The logo on a plain navy blue background. My colleague typed frantically, the only sound in the room other than the clicks of my shoes on the floor. Suddenly, he slapped the keyboard.

"I found it!" he exclaimed.

I hurried over to my colleague, standing behind him and leaning over to see the screen. I gasped. The call came from...Los Angeles? What the hell...

"Los Angeles? The call came from Los Angeles?" I said, disbelievingly. 

He nodded, zooming in on the location. It was a Google Maps image (yes, even the CIA uses Google Maps) of a gray slab building. Isolated, it was surrounded by luscious green lawns and landscaped flower beds.  What is this place? 

"Apparently, yes. Are you sure you didn't recognize the voice?" 

I nodded. I hadn't recognized the voice at all. Could it be the terrorist group? They've been quiet for a while but....

"I'm positive, Micah. I wouldn't have called you if I did."

Micah sighed, leaning back in his swivel chair and running his hands through his short brown hair. His brown eyes were bloodshot. I flew all the way out to Virginia to have him trace it for me. Jonathan wanted information as well, but there wasn't much to tell. Is it the dark angel terrorist group? Or is it something much more? There are so many possibilities. 

"Well, Ember, I honestly don't know what else to tell you. I'll give you the address of this place, but that's probably the most I can do."

I nodded, straightening up. All I really need is the address. When I have the address and return to Los Angeles, then I can start my investigation. 

"That's all I need, Micah. Thank you." 

Micah nodded and started to print out the address and a picture of the gray concrete building. I squinted, inspecting the picture on the computer screen. In the distance, I could see a barbed wire topped fence. The compound reminded me of a prison. But, looks can be deceiving. I've surely said that enough times to last me a lifetime and a half. 

"Here. See you soon, Ember." Micah handed me the paper, ink still wet, and smiled.

I smiled back.

"Thank you. Goodbye, Micah."

With that, I turned on my heel and left the quiet room. 

(Sorry these chapters are so boring. They're mostly just filler chapters! I promise the book will pick up soon! Oh, guess what guys? MY BIRTHDAY IS IN TWO DAYS!!! I'm so excited! Okay, enough from me. Bye-Bye!)