Chapter 25

Chapter 25

Joshua

Ember slept peacefully beside me, her breathing steady and even. My mind raced with remembering the gunman at the Grammy's. The sound of the shots firing ricocheted through my head. The feeling of them whizzing past me hadn't helped.

I glanced down at Ember. Her head rested on my chest, bobbing up and down with every breath I took. Her arms wrapped tightly around my waist. I love Ember, I really do, but sometimes I hate her occupation. She's seen and experienced things most eighteen year olds never think about. Like torture. Real torture. Unknowingly, my arm started to tighten around her. As if it alone could shield her from anymore hurt. If only it were that simple. She shifted, but didn't wake.

Suddenly, the window opened. I froze. Kneeling in the windowsill, with wings black as oil, was the form of a man. He stepped tentatively inside, looking around. I pretended to be asleep, straining my ears to listen. But, Ember woke up.

"Joshua?" she whispered softly.

I shushed her.

"Shh, there's someone in here."

She seemed to have caught the hint because right when his gaze flipped to us, we stopped moving. Ember tapped her fingers on my thigh anxiously. I knew what she was doing. She was planning. She waited until he turned around before even moving an inch. She swiftly, and silently, slipped out of bed and behind the man. Suddenly, she sprang and they were rolling around on the ground, wrestling.

I shot up from the bed, kicking aside the covers and looking around frantically for something to use. I caught a glimpse of my girlfriend nailing the man with the black wings in the jaw. Good punch, I thought. He cried out in pain, bringing his hands up to clutch his jaw. Ember seized her opportunity of the slight distraction to pin his arms behind his back and push him up against the wall, restraining his wings in the process. The only thing I could bring myself to do was stare at her in awe. Damn...

"Hello! Earth to Joshua!"

Ember's voice cut through my daze. I snapped back to reality. She was holding the guy up against the wall. He spewed what I assumed were curse words in a language that sounded like clicks and grunts. It seemed foreign to this planet. Fortunately, I know better.

"Sorry, what'd you say?"

She sighed, kicking the guy's shin as he struggled to get away. He's not going anywhere with Ember (quite literally) on his back.

"Go get your father. I'll take care of this joker." she retorted.

The guy started ranting on again. Ember rolled her eyes. I did as she told and left to go find Dad. The last thing I saw before I shut the door was Ember shoving the guy near the open window, practically pushing him outside. What else do you expect? Your girlfriend's a spy, I thought before knocking on Dad's bedroom door.

(Hey guys! Sorry for slow updates/grammar and spelling errors. I'm writing this on my iPod today so yeah. Hope this is a good chapter! I thought of it-the idea-today in my Honors History class. It's okay, I guess. Bye bye for now!)