Chapter 21

Chapter 21

The first thing I wanted when I got back to the McGallen's house was to take a long, hot shower. Stripping off the now ruined dress (sorry, Ariana), I rolled it up and threw it in the wastebasket. Ariana will most likely go buy another one anyway. I walked into my private bathroom, locking the door and turning on the shower. The events of tonight still ran through my head like a movie on replay. Who is this mysterious boss giving Archer's boss orders? Is it a man or a woman? Are they even in the country? On the continent? Questions buzzed through my head. 

Once the shower was nice and steaming hot, I stepped into it. The spray of the water felt amazing on my sore muscles. Honestly, I haven't fought like that since I was kidnapped by that dark angel terrorist group. Washing the dried blood out from under my nails and in my hair, I thought. This is way beyond me and Joshua. I need some help. But, from who? Jonathan would send in another team to handle it. Then it hit me. Garret and Addy! Perfect! Who better to ask than my own parents? Sure, they work for Jonathan, but if I asked them to they wouldn't tell anyone. They raised me after all. I showered until my back was sore from the constant pounding of the water on my back. I wrapped a fluffy towel around my body as I unlocked the door and stepped out into my bedroom. Suddenly, my phone started ringing. I hurried over to my nightstand and picked it up. The Caller ID read Tiyana. My sister is calling me? Tiyana never calls me for anything. 

"Hello." I said, answering the call.

"Ember! Ember, Ember, oh Ember, it's great!" she screamed into the phone.

I held the receiver away from my ear, attempting to avoid major hearing loss. Well she's excited about something. Pressing the phone to my ear again, I chuckled.

"What's so great, Tiyana?"

"You didn't hear? Mom and Dad are getting married!" 

My jaw dropped. Addy and Garret are getting married? Okay, whoa, where did that come from? Their relationship had always looked strictly business to me.

"Shut up!"

"No joke! They just announced it."

Overwhelming happiness swelled inside me. That's great. Addy and Garret are really getting married. I grinned a huge grin. My problems were only temporarily forgotten though. My smile dropped.

"That's great news, Tiyana, but could I talk to Garret? Please?" I asked.

"Sure. What for?"

I shrugged even though I knew she couldn't see me. Think of something fast...

"Oh, um, I wanted to ask him something about LA."

Stupidest lie ever. I clutched the phone tightly, pressing it against my ear. 

"Okay. Here he is."

I thanked Tiyana and waited.

"Hello, sweetie. How's LA?"

I smiled at the sound of Garret's voice. I haven't seen them since I left for LA with the McGallen's. They met me at the Ronald Reagan National Airport in Arlington the day we flew out in a private jet. The whole lot of them. Needless to say, it was hectic and hilarious to see people's faces when they saw my little entourage.

"It's great. Hot. Very hot. So, first of all, congratulations! Tiyana just told me about the engagement."

"Thank you. Your mother was so surprised when I pulled out the ringbox that she almost collapsed."

I laughed. That does sound like Addy. Whenever she gets excited, her legs shake. When her legs shake, she falls.

"I can just picture her doing that. Second, I kinda need your help on something. It's a serious matter."

The line went silent. I waited anxiously for an answer from Garret. Eventually, I heard a sigh.

"Okay. Hold on, let me step outside."

I heard the sound of the glass sliding door in the kitchen in the background open and shut.

"Now, what is it you need help with?"

I bit my lower lip, trapping my phone in between my shoulder and my head as I pulled on a pair of panties and yoga pants. What's the best way to describe my situation?

"When I first arrived here in Los Angeles, the CIA sent me a file. In that file was information about a possibly threatening new spy agency known as the ACE. It has been a secret for...well, nobody knows how long. Tonight at the Grammy's, I was with Ariana and Joshua. When we went to find the bathrooms, we found ourselves in the basement with a gunman. I got Ariana and Joshua to safety and took out the gunman. I need some help. Please. Joshua offered, but this stuff is way over his head. Jonathan would only send in another agent to handle it. For a while, the assignment went cold but now it's back. I've had encounters before with them, but I assumed it was the dark angel terrorist group. Please help me, Dad."

I finished rambling. Garret's voice rippled through after an agonizing seven minutes of silence. 

"You owe me big time for this, Ember."

I smiled.

"Thanks, Dad."

"You're welcome. I'll see what I can find out. I love you."

"Love you too. Bye."

I hung up the phone with a new-found confidence. It felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders. Now I have my dad's help. That's a HUGE relief. Don't get me wrong, Joshua's good but he's not a trained operative like Garret and me. Plus, Garret has more experience. I'll leave Addy to worry about wedding stuff. This is going to be an interesting wedding. 

(Hey guys! I can't say this enough, sorry for any spelling or grammar mistakes! I'm writing this on my iPod/laptop/Kindle Fire. I tried to catch what I could but please don't hate me for any mistakes! :) Bye-bye!)