✔ Twelve: "What would be so wrong if you did like him?"

Justin

I walked with an extra bounce in my step as I made it through the door to Liv's apartment. Today had gone just as planned, even though I'd initially been nervous and all of that.

My interview went really well, thanks to Liv helping me prepare. The guy who did the interview seemed pleased with my answers and, to prove that he was, I went out to work immediately once he was done.

Liv would be proud of me, I knew it.

For the first time in a while, I felt like I was living for something; I had purpose. I wasn't just another man on the street anymore. No, now I could pull my weight and contribute to society. I'd start off by helping Liv with her rent and groceries, provided my salary would be enough, then maybe, if I had and bit of money to spare, I'd buy myself a notebook to write my thoughts and songs in.

I hadn't had much luck with inspiration for new music because I'd been so cooped up in own little bubble, feeling sorry for myself and wondering why I'd been so stupid to decide to live this way instead of just face the music and get the humiliation over and done with, but I was off to a good start now with getting this job. Suddenly, the world seemed to have endless possibilities again and I was quite optimistic. I hadn't felt this good about myself in ages and it felt amazing!

Just as I was about to head off to the bathroom to take a shower, Liv walked in, a hard look on her face.

"What happened to you?" She looked at me.

I must've been dirty from repairing some woman's ancient car which, in my opinion, should've been written off.

"I've got some good news." I smiled.

She slowly shut the door behind her, her eyes still fixed on me.

"That mechanic job?" I went on.

"Yeah?" A smile started to form on her lips.

"I got it." I told her.

She smiled broadly and almost came at me for a big hug but she stopped in her tracks when she realised how greasy I was.

"I'll... go take a shower." I blushed.

"And pop those clothes in the washer." She giggled. "I'll make some dinner in the meantime."

I smiled and went on to take a shower and wash my hair.

__________

After dinner, Liv and I had watched an episode of Empire, like we usually did.

It was quite inspirational and got me thinking about my own legacy which I used to dream about when I was head over heels in love with Becky. I wanted to work hard so that I could secure my family financially; I wanted to be able to give my wife and children the best the world had to offer and I was so driven, so determined... then I had the life sucked out of me and... here I was.

Live nudged me, popping a chip into her mouth.

"Hm?" I looked at her.

"You're deep in thought." She smiled. "Already having second thoughts about work?"

"No. I look forward to it, actually."

"What are your plans?" She turned to face me. She had her back against the couches arm rest and then placed her elbow on the backrest.

The smile on her face was bright. She was really excited for me.

"P-Plans?" I cleared my throat.

"Yes. Now that you have a job."

"Liv... I've only been working there a day."

"I know. When I first started working, I'd already spent my money before I even got it." She giggled, "I imagined all the stuff I was gonna buy. I hope you're more responsible than I was. All I wanted to get was clothes and food. Then reality sunk in and my mom told me that I was too grown to be living with her."