✔ Nineteen: "Pattie."

Liv

I held onto the cup of tea that Diane had made for me and we all sat in the living room in silence, emotions calming and the air thick with disbelief and curiosity.

Pattie held onto the letter as if it was giving her life, and Bruce had his hand on my back to comfort me because I'd been crying with everyone.

"I still can't believe it." Pattie said, shaking her head. "All this time..."

"He was afraid." I said on Justin's behalf.

"But we were always there for him. He could turn to us whenever he wanted to."

"He didn't want to let you down again."

"He could never do that, Olivia. Not even if he tried."

I shrugged, lost for words.

"Maybe he just needed some time away from everything and everyone." I said after a moment.

Pattie began to neatly fold the letter, mumbling some things as she was at it. All I caught was her saying something about Becky.

"I'm just glad he's okay." Bruce said, rubbing my back. "Thank you, Olivia."

"He'd really like to see you all." I said

"Why didn't he come with you?" Diane asked me.

"He doesn't have a passport, for starters, since he's been... dead. Apart from that, he didn't want to overwhelm you and he didn't want to overwhelm himself."

"I want to talk to him." Pattie said, wiping another falling tear. "Give him a call, I need to hear his voice."

"Darling, your emotions are high right now," Bruce said, "Let's give it a day or two, okay? To figure out what we want to tell Justin and what our next plan of action is."

"I want to be with my son."

"And you will be-- we all will. Let's just let this new reality sink in. In the meantime," Bruce got up, "I'm taking Olivia's bag upstairs."

"Oh, like I said, I'm going to stay at a motel." I got up too.

"This is the least we can do after you've given us such good news. Please, stay."

I looked at Diane and she gave me a small smile.

Slowly, I sat back down, and Bruce took my suitcase upstairs like he said.

"I can't thank you enough, Olivia." Pattie looked at me, her voice shaking.

"It's alright." I said, "Just looking out for another human being."

"You must be tired." Diane said, "Is there anything I can get you?"

I shook my head and thanked her.

"All I want to do is get some rest." I said.

"Dinner has been ready for a while now. Maybe you should eat before you sleep?"

After the emotional roller coaster we'd all been on, I was anything but hungry.

"No thank you, Ms Diane. I just want to sleep." I said.

She nodded and smiled small.

"I think Bruce took your luggage to Justin's old bedroom. Second door to your left, up the stairs."

"Thank you. See you all tomorrow." I got up and waved shyly to Pattie and Diane.

"Alright, darling." Diane said.

Bruce had just walked out of the room when I got there. He smiled at me and gave me another hug before wishing me a good night. I walked into the room and closed the door behind me.