✔ Twenty Seven: "I miss you."

Liv

I helped my mom set up for dinner but neither of us spoke. She had the radio on and a song by John Legend was playing. My mom was humming along to it and I was glad that there was something keeping the peace for the time being.

We sat down at the table and my step-dad said grace before we began to eat.

"So how's this book coming along, Livie?" He asked me as I passed down the salad bowl.

"Great, thanks." I could feel my cheeks heat up just from the excitement I felt from putting this story together.

"What's it about? When can we read it?" He smiled too.

"You can read it with everyone else when it hits the bookshelves someday, dad." I teased, "It's about a homeless man and a woman who works--" I bit my tongue, not wanting to give much away considering the fact that this was about Justin and I. "She had a small business," I lied, "and they fall in love."

"With a homeless man?" My mom gave me a confused look.

"Yes," I cleared my throat and poured myself some water.

"That's interesting." My step-dad said.

My mom obviously wasn't feeling positive about it so I decided to just drop the bomb and be out with it.

"I'm in a relationship." I said with a big smile on my face.

"Oh, wow." My mom smiled too, thinking that the topic had changed when I was in fact taking a different approach. "What's his name?"

"Justin."

"Justin...?" My mom looked at me.

If I straight up told her that his surname was Bieber, she'd laugh at me and call me crazy. After all, the day the news broke that he was dead, my mom and I were together.

"B-Brown." I smiled to cover my lie.

Don't ask why but Jocelyn's surname was the first one which started with a B to spring to mind. It was either Brown or Beaver.

"What does he do?" My step-dad asked.

"He's a mechanic at the moment but he works hard at it." I said.

"You're with a mechanic." My mom gave me the same look she did when I explained my new book to her.

"I'm sorry I couldn't attract a lawyer or an engineer, mom."

"As long as you're happy with him, Livie. It doesn't matter what he does, as long as he doesn't spend all day on a couch, waiting for you to take care of him." My step-dad smiled at me.

See why I loved him?

"Thanks, dad." I smiled softly.

"Well, I suppose I shouldn't judge too harshly," My mom sighed, "are you happy with him, Liv?"

"Of course. He could be homeless and I'd still be nuts about him." I felt myself blush.

A small smile crept onto my mom's lips and she nodded.

"I can't wait to meet this man then." She said.