✔Thirty Eight: "Do what you gotta do."

Justin

After a long day of songwriting, I'd called it a day by taking a shower and looking for food to prepare for dinner.

Liv walked through the door looking rather exhausted and I gave her a smile to try and brighten her day a little.

"Hey, babe." She walked over to me in the kitchen to kiss my cheek.

"Long day?"

"You have no idea."

I was about to speak when she held up her hand to silence me.

"No 'I told you so's' just yet, Justin. Work was fine, just busier than I'm used to, that's all." She said.

I nodded my head and went back to looking for ingredients in the cupboards.

"What are you looking all dressed up for?"

I glanced at Liv and found her putting her handbag on the counter.

"I'm making dinner, or at least trying to. Scooter called earlier and said he's in the city so he's stopping by to discuss some things with me." I told her.

"Sounds serious."

"Of course it is." I smiled, "Any suggestions for dinner?"

"I'll find something to put together. You can set the table so long or something."

"I want to help."

Liv smiled and went over to the sink to wash her hands.

"How does some chicken with tabbouleh sound?" She asked.

"Sounds good, I think."

She moved around the kitchen to get what she'd need out and I followed instructions as we began preparing.

"How was work?" Liv started conversation as she put some chicken breasts into a pot.

"I didn't go."

She looked at me as she passed two lemons my way.

"I didn't quit. I just stayed home to write, that's all. And to think." I explained.

"Think about what?"

"I just don't think I should go back, especially now that... you know? It would be unfitting."

Liv scoffed and shook her head.

"Not like that, Liv."

"No, I see your point. I just think you should resign properly unless you want your boss to think that you think you're better off now. He hired you when you desperately needed it, despite you not having the right documents with you, so the least you can do is face him. Don't stay home to 'think' about it."

"Yes, mom." I smiled.

Liv smiled too and hit my arm lightly.

"Grate those. I'm gonna need the zest." She told me, and I got to it. "Do you know what Scooter wants to discuss exactly?"

"Not really. I just know that it has to do with my music."

"Do you think he might ask you to move away? Like, to a better place?"

"What place is 'better'?"

"I don't know. Some place where all the famous people live? In mansions and stuff."

"I don't know, Liv. Where I live doesn't affect my music anyway. I doubt that Scooter would come all this way to ask me to move out."

Liv raised her hands then got to chopping some parsley.