✔Forty: "It wasn't bad at all."

Liv

I looked between my mom and my step-dad with an unsure smile on my face. Since the last time we were together, I didn't know what to make of their surprise visit.

Really, all I wanted to do was sit with Justin and have an unhealthy meal while I listened to him tell me about his day which went better than mine. He was just about to tell me something important when my parents knocked and it bummed me out that I'd have to wait to hear about it.

"Are you just going to stand there?" My mom smiled.

Her arms were still opened to me and I stepped forward to hug her.

She giggled as she embraced me, then she made her way inside with my step-dad and she looked around my apartment as if to check for some type of fault in my living conditions.

My step-dad and Justin shook hands and my mom hugged him to introduce themselves.

At least things are starting off great, I thought.

"What are you doing here?" I asked nervously.

"Your mother insisted we stop by." My step-dad explained. "We're staying at a hotel nearby and could've actually come in the morning."

"But I missed you so much." My mom smiled at me.

There she went with that whole nothing-happened mood of hers which just rubbed me up the wrong way.

"You're my daughter's inspiration for her book." My mom smiled at Justin. "Oh, I can't wait to read about the two of you."

My eyebrows raised automatically and I looked at my step-dad and he gave me a let-her-be type of look.

"What's for dinner." My mom rubbed her hands together in excitement.

"Liv and I were just having some Chinese, actually." Justin smiled nervously.

"Nothing beats a home cooked meal, am I wrong, Frederick?" My mom looked at my step-dad.

He simply smiled, not wanting to fuel anything negativity between my mom and I.

"There's still enough time, Livie. We can make dinner for the men and get to talking. How does that sound?" My mom placed her and on my back and walked us to the kitchen.

"How have you been, darling?" She asked me as she washed her hands at the sink.

"Well, I suppose." I glanced at Justin who was scratching his neck while watching us in the kitchen.

"What have you got in here that we can cook?" My mom smiled at me.

"Maybe we should order in some more takeout and leave the cooking for another time?" My step-dad came to my rescue.

"Fine." My mom dried her hands and walked over to the living room.

"More Chinese?" I asked as I picked up the phone.

"Yes, please." My step-dad smiled.

__________

At the dining table, we sat and had our Chinese food. I'd taken a seat next to Justin and my parents were seated together on the opposite side.

My step-dad was talking about their trip over here and how out-of-the-blue it was for him, considering he has work this week.

"So, you're an electrician?" Justin kept the conversation going.

"Yes. I've been one for almost fifteen years." My step-dad smiled.

"Isn't it dangerous?"

"I'll tell you what's dangerous," My mother pitched in, "walking around and being hounded by all those people with cameras. How do you do it, Justin?"