•11• psychotic exes

As the student body huddled together in the center of the cafeteria, I cursed myself for not taking anymore super training 101 from Sterling.

Although the branch passed right through me, I was startled Sterling would attempt such a thing. I stormed away shortly after, fuming. Of course we've cleared everything up afterwards when I drove his truck to my house so I didn't have to fear for my safety in his hands, but I made it clear if we were to 'train' again, there would be more teaching and less spontaneous, crazy, branch attacks.

That was three weeks ago.

We all knew Kadmus Etson was devastated over his break up with his girlfriend of four years, Hayden Chase, only we never knew just how devastated he truly was.

Kadmus Etsons' dad owns Smoking Barrels, the Westlake firearm shop. Naturally, in Kadmus Etsons' mind, robbing said store and holding Landchester Highs' students hostage, was the perfect way to get Hayden Chase back in his arms. Or he wanted to shoot her.

I should have known something bad was going to happen today, I've been nauseous since third period and when I met Sterling at lunch, I knew he felt it too. The only problem was that we had no sense of direction as to where the danger was, because it was right under our noses all along.

Whenever I hear about school shootings over the news, or we talk about it in class, I always picture myself as the one who will stand up to the shooter, attack them, unarm them, maybe get shot protecting some innocent classmate, but I would be the one to eventually save the day. I would be the hero. I've thought about it a million times, today included, but I can't bring myself to do anything. My skin has been drained of colour since I first spotted the gun, and all saliva in my mouth has successfully evaporated, leaving it as dry as a desert with a rough texture to it when I raise it to the roof of my mouth, preventing myself from letting even the smallest syllable escape so I don't bring attention to everyone cowering here. I'm frozen in place like every other adult and teenager in this building who are fearing for their life.

If I did stand up to Kadmus Etson, it wouldn't accomplish anything. If he shot me, my powers would kick in so, basically, if I did try to stop him, I would expose my secret and harm the person behind me at the same time. Not worth it.

My eyes darted to the surrounding faces, some couldn't register what was happening, they're eyes were still wide with shock; others were crying, unable to control the loud, ugly, sobs escaping from their throats. Amaris' cry was a quiet whimper, muffled against Lawson chest; Lawson's expression was unreadable, but he was comforting Amaris by cradling her in his arms. Axel had to stay home because he had undergo a surgery to get his appendix removed the morning after my failed training session. He didn't show any symptoms other than a sore stomach, so mom gave him some pain killers; it was only when he couldn't eat, sleep, or dance around in his zebra boxers, that they knew something was terribly wrong, and payed a visit to the hospital where various tests revealed the true source of his pain.

"Kadmus," Sterling's deep Redux voice echoed through the crowd, most of the sobs turned into quiet whimpers like Amaris, at the sight of the superhero, "you don't want to do this."

"Where's Hayden?" Kadmus shouted, pointing his rifle towards Sterling. I could tell Kadmus is a user. If this was the first time, I'm not sure, but his wide, bloodshot eyes were a dead giveaway. Sterling mentioned he wore his super suit under his normal clothes, that's the reason why he's always wearing long sleeve shirts or sweaters, never t-shirts; he was, however, still sporting the same white Calma slip-on shoes he was wearing with his everyday clothes, there wasn't any time for little details when your school is under gun point.

"She's not even here," Sterling scanned the area, his eyes lingering on the windows, "if you waited and actually payed attention instead of rampaging around like a bull, you'd notice that."