•21• glow stick

The scent of food brought me out of my room after studying for exams. Gold was in the kitchen, slaving away over the stove. Mom and Axel were at yet another doctors appointment, so we had the house to ourselves.

Gold hadn't changed into the clothes I let him use every night, because he was doing homework when we got home, and he usually waits until he has a chance at falling asleep; either watching movies on my bed, or reading on the pillows piled onto the floor in a makeshift mattress.

"Kraft Dinner?" I boosted myself onto the counter, peering into the pot Gold was standing in front of.

"I'm sick of peanut butter and jelly. Plus it's the only thing I know how to make." Gold frowned down at the noodles as though they did something to offend him, "the only thing for supper, anyway."

I swayed to unfamiliar music that was blasting from the speaker of a rectangular object sitting on the counter beside Gold. His cellphone. "What song is this?" I asked, hoping to distract him with conversation while I reached for it; unfortunately, he noticed anyway, and grabbed the phone before I did. He placed it back on the counter, noticeably further away from me than last time.

"California Dreamin', by Mama's and Papa's." He peered down at me, noticing my look of confusion, and shrugged, "some sixties band."

As the song continued, Gold started swaying his hips to the music, if it was unintentional or purposely, I had to stifle a laugh. When the timer went off, he danced to the sink and drained the pasta. He started humming along with it as he added the other ingredients, and when it hit what I assumed to be the chorus, he started singing under his breath, but I could hear him just as well.

"Do you sing a lot?" I asked once the song came to an end and another song, just as old, began; God jumped, as if he forgot I was watching him. His skin glowed. "Don't be embarrassed, you're actually good!" I said, but his glow only grew brighter. "I guess you couldn't, huh? You'd start glowing like a flashlight before you even stepped on stage!" I pursed my lips, "or you could go as Golden Sparkler..." I trailed off when I saw the frown on Golds' face. I was worried that I had unintentionally hurt his feelings. Maybe he actually wanted to be a singer on Broadway. He motioned towards the pot of blackened noodles.

"I burnt it."

I snorted, "how do you burn K.D? It's like the easiest thing to make." I started naming things he possibly did wrong. "you set the timer?"

"Yes."

"You measured the ingredients properly?"

"Of course."

"You put water in the pot?"

Gold scoffed, "what do you take me for?"

"Did you set the proper heat?" To this, I had no response. I leaned next to him, our shoulders touching, to see that the heat dial had been turned to the hottest temperature.

"I thought it would cook faster." He admitted.

"You couldn't wait the five-

"-seven to eight-" he interjected.

- minutes it takes, huh?" Gold sighed in response.

"I'm pretty sure that was the last box." I hopped off the counter and scurried to the pantry where I rummaged for food. Instead of K.D, I found a box of fettuccine noodles, and handed it to Gold who stared at me in disbelief.