•22• sticks

"Do you think he's okay?" I asked Sterling. We were in the town library, and I've since abandoned my study session with Sterling; pacing around, rubbing my hands together, and occasionally checking the windows for any sign of Golden Sparkler. "Maybe he fell and broke his leg or something, and can't use his powers."

Sterling snickered, "that would be a shame."

"He's been missing for two weeks," I said, ignoring Sterlings' remark, "maybe he got kidnapped. Maybe they're cutting him open as we speak." My eyes widened with fear, and my pacing jolted to a stop. "What if he's dead? Murdered?" I said with a shudder.

"First of all," Sterling sighed, finally looking up from the AP Chem book he was studying from, "it's only been eleven days. Chill the fuck down. Second of all, what kind of world do you think we're living in?" He snorted, "mad scientists are a thing of fiction."

"People thought magical powers were as well, and look what happened there."

"Gold can handle anything that comes his way. He's a strong super," Sterling paused in thought, "maybe even stronger than I am. Y'know; figuratively. Because I have super strength n' all." Sterling patted my back reassuringly, then frowned at his words, "just don't tell him I said that." Then his eyes grew dark and mischievous, "if we ever see him again." He cackled like a madman, earning a shush from the boney librarian Sterling dubbed 'Sticks'. I whacked him on the arm to make him stop.

"What if he's mad, and never wants to see us again?" I asked, sitting down.

"Doubt it. The kid's basically in love with you." I gave him a look. "What?" Sterling snickered, "I may be single, but I am not blind." His voice cracked at single. An indicator he was lying.

"Who is it?" I asked curiously, leaning over the table.

He avoided eye contact completely, opening his book once more, "we need to study." His cheeks turned pink.

I slammed the book shut; Sticks glared at us, but said nothing. "Who is it?" I asked again.

"Ashlyn, can we not talk about this right now? Please?" He pleaded. I obliged, only because he used my full name, and said please. He's never done either. For anything.

We studied in silence for a few more minutes, until Sterlings' phone rang, and we were kicked from the library for being 'too loud'.

"Yo." Sterling said, answering his phone before we even finished packing up. He nodded along with the conversation, occasionally glancing my way. "Now?" He frowned. "You?" Then his face contorted to anger, "I do not need practice!" He declared, but look of constipation on his face, indicated the caller had already hung up.

"What was that about?" I asked, snapping him out of it.

"We need to plan a rescue mission," Sterling said dramatically, waving his arms around. "Goldy-Locks has been kidnapped by an evil scientist!" Sterling grabbed my shoulders and shook me, "we've got to save him before they cut him open!" He wailed.

I narrowed my eyes. "Don't mock me." Sterling snickered.

"It was your dad -sorry- Anderson. He's wants to train us professionally," Sterling rolled his eyes, "especially since the Momentum attacks are getting more frequent." Which was true. I barely saw Sterling at school anymore because he was out saving lives and taking action, while I stared at Mr. Landcasters' receding hairline, and listened to his monotone voice drone on about writing techniques.