•23• secret base

I was debating whether or not to call home 'sick'.

There was only two classes left in the day, and they were both classes I couldn't care less about. At lunch, Sterling jumped up from our table, and declared in a deep voice, that he had some superhero business to take care of. He threw a wink towards Axel, who had no idea what he was talking about, and took off. Amaris gaped in awe, Lawson rolled his eyes, and Axel looked confused. I spent most of my lunch hour explaining the difference, or lack there of, between Redux and Sterling.

Gold is still a no-show, and I've found myself thinking about him more and more each day. I miss our dissing of corny movies, goofing around, and late night conversations.

I thought back to one of the last nights it was just the two of us, and started grinning, causing the few remaining students after the bell to give me weird looks as I passed them in the hallway.

We were watching a movie together, like most nights. It was at a point where he was comfortable enough if I leaned on his shoulder, and he was just running his hands through my hair. I thought it was unintentional, just something to do with his hands; but when I looked up at him, I was met with his electrifying golden eyes staring back at me. I suppose it wouldn't seem like much to anyone else, but I felt something in my stomach, anyway.

I catch him looking at me quite often, as well, and when I do, he turns away and continues whatever he was doing, acting as though he wasn't.

Was what Sterling said, true?

Before I thought anything more of it, I ran into a wall, only to realize it was someone's back. I apologized, wondering why he was wearing sweats and gloves on a hot day, but when he turned around to help me up, I realized why.

"Ashlyn!" He said, extending a gloved hand, "I was just looking for you!"

He was still glowing. Not as much as he was before, but just to the point where I still couldn't make out his features.

"Where were you?" I said, swatting his hand away, "I've been worried sick!"

He shook his head, and lunged for my hand, dragging me up. "I'll explain later. Follow me."

We bolted through the empty halls together, narrowly missing Mr. Landcaster, who always stood by the back door searching for students to give detentions to, because he had to teach a class.

Once outside, I barely had time to prepare, before Gold hugged me close to his chest, and took off into the sky. It was record speed, and we landed at the desired location within seconds.

"Have you been glowing ever since that morning?" I asked, Gold grunted a yes in return. "I have two classes left." I remarked, looking around. Gold brought us to a building that was under construction, I assumed it was lunch break or the workers day off, because we were the only ones there.

"Yes, I know. I also know, that both classes don't have exams at the end of the year, and your marks, also in both, are well in the nineties. I think you'll be safe skipping this once."

"How would you know that?" I scoffed.

He was looking around, "hacked the school computer." He was distracted by something in front of him, following it with his eyes. I jumped when I heard a crash outside.

"What was that?" I asked.

"Momentum." He answered simply. I was about to stand up, but Gold kept me down. "No. Sterling can handle him pretty good."

"What are we doing, if we're not here to fight Momentum?" I asked.

"Remember when we first met Anderson and he told Momentum to let the boy go?"