Chapter 18

Dinner with Kwanghee's parents is nothing like the lunch in the Lee Residence. It was too quiet as they ate their meal, the only sound around the room is the tink of the spoon and fork on plates as they ate. Kwanghee seems to be sitting in his chair with his back ramrod straight while Dara kept throwing him glances on the adjacent chair. The ambience is too formal and serious to be honest. Kwanghee told her that his father dispenses business works and phone calls while having meals and Dara wondered why the Governor made that rule in the first place when he doesn't seem inclined to be in a conversation. Any kind of conversation. Yep, the Lee Matriarch is right. Governor Hwang is too rigid. The only question he uttered was where Haru was and they just told him he was sleeping at Dara's house. Kwanghee still hasn't told them about Lee Donghae being the father since, from what Kwanghee said, the governor knew the Lee family and knowing that his son's girlfriend having a child with a member of one of the most prominent family in Korea, will not sit well with him.

Mrs. Hwang smiled at her as she asked, "Do you want some peas?"

Dara smiled courteously. "Thank you."

And then silence again. Dara just ate quietly as she munched on her food. And then Governor Hwang spoke, his voice clipped. "You guys have been together for two years now, right?"

"Yes," Kwanghee answered, his shoulders tensing. Dara couldn't help but tensed too and she suddenly wanted to yell at everybody to relax! This is not good for her nerves.

"Have you already thought about marrying?" Governor asked wiping his mouth with a napkin.

Kwanghee looked at Dara while Dara looked at him. "Uh..."Kwanghee said swallowing hard. "No dad. It's... I mean, we talked about it yes but... we're not ready."

"Not ready?" Governor repeated. "How old did you want to be before you get on to discuss your future?"

"Dad, we're still... you know... trying to get... you know..." He looked nervous.

"I told him I wasn't ready for a commitment like that yet," Dara interjected. Governor Hwang looked at her and she continued. "I'm happy with Kwanghee but marriage is a big responsibility and I don't think it's prudent for us to just rush on that kind of obligation out of a whim." She met Governor's calculating stare without even flinching and after a minute the governor let out a smile. The first one he gave since she had seen him this evening. Then he turned to Kwanghee. "You got so lucky to have found Dara. She's got spunk! You should be like that!" He chuckled.

Kwanghee just grimaced as he reached out for his glass of water and took a big gulp. Dara wanted to pat him on the back comfortingly but she just smiled.

"I'm just so glad that you two will be staying here for good," Governor Hwang continued looking at Kwanghee. "It's so hard to always talk to you on the phone."

"B—but dad, we can't leave Kmag," Kwanghee started.

"Let it run with your VP or COO. Your Corporate Office is here. Work here." His tone sounds firm as if a decision has already been made. Dara wanted to interject and tell him that they need to go back to the Philippines but Kwanghee will kill her if his dad suddenly suggests for her to go back and have Kwanghee stay in the Corporate Office.

Kwanghee didn't respond and just returned in eating but Dara could guess he can't taste the food he's chomping on.

She could now understand why Kwanghee refused to let his father know of his homosexuality. He had been imposing when she had first met him but now that she had spent time with him while he gets calls from his staff, his bodyguards hovering around the house, he is like the reincarnation of terror itself. He's way too scary just standing there like waiting to just snap your neck off. At least, that's how she sees it.