Chapter 6

Maverick froze when she asked this question, as for Richard, he just laughed hysterically, "WOW, I wonder what gave it away, maybe it was the cat ears, or maybe the tail." As Richard laughed in the back of Maverick's mind Maverick couldn't move at all, he was a hybrid, a mix between a hedgehog and a cat, he didn't know how to handle this situation at all, he'd ask Richard but he was laughing so hard that he couldn't hear Maverick's cry. Amy looked at Maverick's shaking body, she could draw the conclusion due to his reaction to her question. "Maverick, it's okay, I just wanted to know." she said in a soft tone. Maverick there was a law that hybrids and standards couldn't be the same, so the hybrids were sent to a new life in a new place, the place where Maverick was born. The only idea that Maverick had was one that was overly used but effective, he ran as fast as he could away from Amy, holding his hood so it didn't fly off. "Maverick wait!" Amy shouted after him, she didn't want him to be alone again, so she ran after him running significantly faster than him.

When she finally caught up with him she tackled him to the ground, Amy finally caught Maverick now she just needed to find out why he ran, "Maverick, why did you run off like that?" she asked him as they both got into a sitting position, Maverick didn't want to say anything, he didn't want her to hate him because he was a hybrid, but he also didn't want to be alone again despite Richard always keeping him company. Amy started to tear up, "Maverick, please, just say something!" she shouted at him, "please..." Amy hang her head in despair, Maverick knew what he had to do. "I never wanted you to know..." he said to the pink hedgehog. She looked up in shock, he actually had a voice, his voice wasn't all robotic, it was actually a bit soothing to hear despite the slight android-ish sound that came out. Amy was happy that he talked but was also confused by his response, "What do you mean you didn't want me to know?"

"I mean I know that hybrids aren't considered normal, and you're right, but your kind thought we were abominations..." He said in a depressed tone. Now Amy was confused, "Maverick, what do you mean?"

"I mean I can't be seen with you, if anyone finds out i'm a hybrid i'll be taken to some facility offshore or something..." It was at that moment that Amy finally understood him. "Maverick, you've been in that alley for quite a while haven't you?"

"Huh?"

"That law was disbanded years ago."

"I..it was..?"

"Yes silly!"

"W...whu..?" Maverick had no idea that the law was gone for good, Richard would've told him, considering he knew that Maverick would leave that place one day. He didn't dwell on this for long as Amy held Maverick in one of her death hugs, which in turn was suffocating Maverick. He tried his best to tap Amy's shoulder as he was desperate for air. When Amy let go Maverick gasped, trying to catch his breath. "Sorry..." said Amy, she held Maverick again but this time, it wasn't like a spine crushing death trap, it was like Maverick was being hugged by the mother he never had, only Amy isn't his mom. "Better?" she asked somberly, Maverick hugged back with a gentle touch, "Better..." The two hugged for what seemed like hours until they finally left each other's embrace. "Come on..." said Amy, "Let's go home..."