Chapter 21

Maverick stood up and received a knee to the stomach, Sonic was intent on beating this badnik, even if it meant breaking Amy's heart. Maverick stumbled back, trying to get his breath back, he looked up at the blue hedgehog with fear in his eyes, he didn't want to fight, not because he didn't know how but because he didn't want to hurt anyone. "Alright Mav." Sonic said getting into a fighting stance, "Let's see what powers Eggy gave ya'." He rushed forward and sucker punched the hybrid, knocking him at least three feet into the air and dropkicked him once he came back down. Maverick still didn't fight back, hoping Sonic would get tired sooner or later, he looked up at his opponent who looked back and laughed, "You're not fighting back eh?" He said, "Guess I'll just have to make you." Sonic hopped back and gave Maverick a chance to fight, Sonic knew Maverick was hiding something deep within his robotic body, he just needed to beat it out of him. Maverick stood up slowly and chuckled, "Ya know, I've been thinking..." He began, "Would anyone really miss you when you're gone?" Sonic widened his eyes, "Whaddya mean?" He asked the hybrid cyborg. Maverick glanced at him, "You're obnoxious, childish, and all around a sad excuse for a hero, 'hey look i'm Sonic the hedgehog and I can run really freakin fast' be honest with yourself, that's the only reason people tolerate you..." Sonic gritted his teeth in anger, "That's not true!" He yelled back, "People adore me because of how awesome I really am." Maverick bent down and picked up a rock, "If that's the case then why don't you ever show your gratitude? If you ask me, you're just using your friends in order to beat Eggman, and that's horrible, even for you." He said with a demonic grin on his face, Sonic was so ready to end this fight once and for all, he sped forward and...was smacked in the skull with a rock. Sonic fell to the ground and rubbed the point of impact, how did he know when to strike? "He turned back at the green foe and said, "So that's your special power, reaction timing? That's lame." Maverick walked over to him and slammed his head into the ground, "You're doing it again." He whispered in his ear, "You're being a jerk, honestly, you need to think for once in your life instead of speeding off head on into danger." Sonic elbowed Maverick's chin, causing him to fall back. Sonic stood up and jumped into the air and went into a ball, he was about to do a homing attack, Maverick rolled out of the way as Sonic hit the ground. Sonic looked up at Maverick as he spoke, "Sonic listen, I don't want to fight you, that rock to the head was just self-defense, you get that right?" Sonic ran at him with all his might and hit him with consecutive attacks, Maverick fell to his knees, beaten, and said, "Sonic, don't you realize what you're doing?" Sonic halted his last attack and stared at the bruised robot, "I haven't been fighting back because I know I can't beat you, Amy knew I never stood a chance against you and you fought me anyway, but somewhere in that incredibly fast paced heart of yours, I know you hated every moment of this." Sonic's eyes widened at his speech. "Look at me Sonic, really look at me, I'm not a full blown robot, in fact I'm as mobian as you are, sure I look like I could hurt someone if I wanted to and I can, but I don't, and you wanna know why?"
"Why?"

"Because I don't want to hurt anybody, I just want to be friends, I just want to be who I am and not be judged for it, I just...I just...I..." Maverick passed out due to how much of a beating he took. Sonic was speechless, maybe he was wrong about Maverick, true he wasn't fully robotic, but he made the choice to not fight back because he knew he wouldn't win, if you think about, it's the right thing to do. Sonic picked up the unconscious hedgecat and carried him back inside, surprisingly he wasn't as heavy as Sonic thought he was, even with the metal parts. Sonic felt pity as he looked at Maverick, he couldn't believe what just happened, the fight wasn't like what he expected. He opened the door and Amy rushed to Maverick's aid as Sonic explained what happened, Tails put a hand on Sonic's shoulder and said, "He's right ya know, you're a jerk almost all the time, but you're the good kind of jerk." Sonic grinned at him and thanked him, as for Amy he wasn't sure he could forgive him, he knew Amy loved him or at least he knew Amy thinks she loves him, but Amy forgave him multiple times over other issues, however this was different. "I'm sorry Maverick..." He said to himself, "I wish I could make it up to you..."