Chapter 11

Maverick didn't acknowledge Amy's presence, all he did was quietly sniffle into a pillow. Amy sat down on the bed next to Maverick and put her hand on his shoulder, Maverick looked up and quickly looked down when he saw who it was. Amy wanted to say something but she couldn't think of anything, she guessed the option would be the direct approach. "What's wrong Mav, you can talk to me, you know that right?" She said quietly, Maverick slowly looked up at her but didn't make direct eye contact. Maverick didn't know how to tell her, she was in love with someone else, how would she react when he says 'that'?

Knowing there's no escaping this, Maverick tried explaining his feelings towards her as indirectly as he could, "Amy....I don't know how to tell you this....but....." he began. Amy listened as Maverick explained why he is the way he is around her, "When you w-were c-c-crying I-I didn't know w-w-w-what to d-d-do." Maverick said between sniffles, "A-a-a-and w-w-when I hugged y-y-you I....I...I got t-this w-w-warm fuzzy f-f-feeling i-i-inside me." Amy's expression changed slightly as he continued, she was beginning to understand. Maverick looked at Amy, his robo eye becoming more and more blue as he went on, "E-every t-t-time you h-h-hold m-me I....I-I-I don't f-f-feel alone any m-m-more..." Amy's eyes started to swell up as she finally understood Maverick's real feelings for her. "I guess...w-w-what I'm t-t-t-trying to s-s-say is that I..." Amy held Maverick in her arms before Maverick could finish his sentence, she didn't expect anyone else to fall for her, especially that quickly, but it happened. Maverick had calmed down and had stopped crying, but he still needed to finish his sentence, "T-then you told me you loved someone else, and I...I...I..." Amy cut Maverick off, "Mav, I get what you're going through, I went through the same thing in school." Maverick decided to hug Amy back because he could tell she was getting emotional. "Every body I thought loved me didn't, not even my parents, so I resorted to tarot cards to find my purpose in this world..." Amy's voice was beginning to crack, "I read one card that said I was destined to marry Sonic the hedgehog..." Maverick heard of him before, the hero of Mobius, the one who took down Dr. Eggman multiple times, the list is endless. "When I finally met Sonic, he pushed me away, but I never give up..." Maverick had calmed down but he still held on to Amy for 2 reasons, the first was because he liked her embrace, the 2nd was because he knew she didn't want to be alone. "Time and time again I failed but, I know, deep down, he loves me as much as I love him." Amy looked up at Maverick, and Maverick looked back at her, making eye contact, "I met so many people thanks to Sonic, I met Tails, Cream, and...well...you." Maverick smiled at her, and she smiled back, but Maverick knew how this would end.

The two sat there for what felt like forever until Amy spoke up, "Mav, I want you to know that I care about you just as much as I care about everyone else, but I know you've been through a lot and the last thing you need is a broken heart." Maverick let go of Amy and got up from the bed, "It's okay Amy, it's probably just a crush, it'll go away eventually." Maverick said looking back at her, Amy got up and walked out the door, but not before saying one last thing, "Maverick, thank you."

"For what?"

"For being a good friend." Amy went up to Maverick and kissed him on the cheek, throwing him off guard. Amy giggled when Maverick almost fainted, he fell backwards but wasn't injured, Maverick looked up at Amy with rosy red cheeks. "Why did you do that?" He whimpered, Amy looked down at him and held out her hand saying, "Because you're cute when you're flustered."