Chapter 20

The smoke had finally cleared and Tails gave Sonic the death stare, he knew Sonic didn't mean to, but it was as simple as pushing a button, all he had to do was tighten a few bolts and that's it. Sonic shrugged at Tails and said, "Aw come on Tails, don't be like that, I'm trying my best here." Tails rolled his eyes and responded, "Sonic, which way did you turn them?"

"Uh left, why?" Tails smacked his forehead in frustration, how could Sonic not remember 'righty tighty, lefty loosey'? Sonic sped into Tails' kitchen to grab a snack, specifically the third one today, Sonic couldn't put his finger on it but something was bothering him, something that Maverick said about Tails' grief. 'What stage is he in now?' Sonic wondered, opening a mini bag of pretzels, the doorbell rang and Sonic ran to open it, he soon regret it as Amy nearly choked him with her hug. The hug only lasted 3 seconds but even that much time in her embrace could kill someone, Sonic caught his breath and invited them in, Amy went to look for Tails while Maverick spent some one on one time with Sonic, he didn't want to but he felt he had to.

Amy found Tails lying on the floor unconscious, she ran towards him in fear, "Tails! What happened?!" She asked violently shaking him, he woke up and saw her yellow tank top. "Is that a new shirt?" He asked not knowing he fainted earlier, Amy let go of him and gave a confident smile, "Yeah why, do you like it?" She asked posing, Tails blushed a bit and said, "Uhh...w-well...it uh...suits you..." Amy blushed at Tails' compliment. Tails turned around and looked at his would-be new invention had Sonic not untighted the bolts, Amy walked up to the broken mess and kicked it lightly, causing Tails to get a little aggravated at her, "Amy don't kick it!" He said in a harsh tone, Amy turned to him and asked, "Why not? It looks broken."

"Well it isn't THAT broken Amy, besides this is what I've been working on since we came back from space."

"Really? Well what's it do?" Amy asked beaming with curiosity, Tails froze, he knew she wouldn't like the answer but this is Amy Rose, Tails' second best friend, and she's actually pretty sensitive, Tails knew he had to tell the truth.

Sonic stared at Amy's new friend with suspicion, he knew Maverick was hiding something, but what was it? Maverick could see the determination in Sonic's eyes, he knew that Sonic was going to ask him something pretty personal, like where are you from? How long have you known Amy? Why do you always wear a hood? Maverick shivered at the thought of him asking these questions. They sat in silence for a while before Sonic broke the ice, "So...are you and Amy a thing or..?" He asked, Maverick was about to ask what he meant but Richard came by and told him, 'He's asking if you and Amy are in a romantic relationship.' Maverick, upon hearing this looked up at the 'blue blur' and said, "Wha...NO...I'm not dating her, we're just friends." Sonic kicked his feet up on the coffee table and gave him a sarcastic smirk, "Well if that's the case then why are you always with her?" Maverick was afraid if he told the truth than Sonic might hate him for it, but what choice did he have? Maverick hung his head and began to speak, he told Sonic how he first met Amy, how he really met Amy, he told him about how him and her are practically siblings, even though they weren't. He told him about how Amy made him believe that everyone can be a good person if they try, he told him how incredible Amy made him feel even when he was sad. He told him how she promised him that she and all her friends would help him get over his troubling past. The last thing he told him, was that Amy called him her 'brother'. Sonic sighed at Maverick's confession and stood up, "So you're adopted?" He asked glancing back at him, Maverick nodded, Sonic didn't know what to say, he had no idea what Maverick had been through, but he knew it was enough to make him the way he is now. "Don't worry pal" Sonic said, giving him a thumbs up, "We'll help you out, you can count on it." and with that Maverick stood up and held out his hand, Sonic caught on and shook his hand, some of Maverick's tension left but Sonic was still suspicious on who he really was. He reached for Maverick' hood but Maverick quickly jumped back, scared that he would find out, "It's alright, I just wanna see what you look like." Sonic said, "Y-you w-won't l-like what y-you see..." Maverick said, fear emitting from his voice, Sonic ignored him and grabbed his hood, he had to know what he looked like, he had to.

"I-It's a machine that can bring people to life..." Tails said to Amy, Amy's smile faded, now she knew why she hadn't seen Tails since they beat the Metarex, he was trying to bring Cosmo back to life. Amy walked towards Tails and lifted his head so their eyes met, "Tails...I know i've said this before but, please, let go of her..." Tails forced himself away from Amy, "I can't Amy, she loved me so much and I..." Amy held Tails once more, tears rushing down her face, "Tails please, listen to me, I know you love her, but please...." Amy fell to her knees, unable to get the words out, "....please...." Tails stared at the weeping hedgehog before him, he didn't know what to say in order to make her feel better. Tails knelt down and wiped away her tears, "I don't know what to say Amy, I've always been there for you when you're crying over Sonic, now it looks like the roles have been swapped...I know how sensitive you are and...I just don't know what to say Amy..." Amy looked into his sky blue eyes and said, "Then don't say anything Tails..." The two stared into eachothers eyes for a while, "Wow" Amy said, Tails' eyes widened a bit, "Wow what?" He asked in confusion, "I never noticed how cute you actually are." Tails, upon hearing this, blushed violently. Amy giggled at the flustered fox and stood up, "Well I'm gonna go see how Maverick and Sonic are getting along." Tails came back to reality and said, "I-I-I'll come with you."

Sonic stood in disbelief at the mobian before him, at least now he knows why Maverick wears a hood all the time, The hybrid was a robot. Maverick was too scared to move, now that Sonic knew what would he do? Amy and Tails had gotten to the living room and halted, Amy was terrified at what she saw while Tails was in about as much shock as Sonic was. Amy slowly walked towards Sonic, "Sonic, don't do anything rash..." before she could go on Sonic interjected her, "Now I know why you're so attached to this thing..." The blue hedgehog's voice became sinister, "You've been brainwashed by one of Eggman's creations..." He looked at the assumed 'badnik' and clenched his fist. Amy was panicking now, she knew this would happen, Sonic and Eggman had been enemies for as long as she could remember, in fact it was because of Eggman that she met Sonic. Eggman had made several machines in an attempt to stop him but they were all destroyed by Sonic, but Eggman never gave up, eventually he resorted to turning mobians into robots, Tails was able to reverse the process with a machine he built, once Eggman heard about this he gave up turning mobians into robots, once Sonic saw Maverick he thought Eggman had begun to do it again.

"So tell me Maverick, if that's even your real name." Sonic said with a hateful look in his eye, "Why are you really here?" Amy stood in front of Maverick the same way she did when Sonic was about to destroy Omega E-123, "Sonic stop!" She said as bravely as she could, "He's not with Eggman I swear!"

"If he's not than why are you defending him Amy?"

"Because that's what friends and family are for, they're so you never feel alone, they're so you can understand why your life's worth living, they're so..." Amy turned to her brother, "...So you can be yourself..." Sonic sighed and shrugged, "Amy you don't even KNOW this guy, what if he's really working for Eggman, I mean look at him, his face screams 'I'm with Fatty'." Amy glanced at him, standing her ground, "I won't let you hurt my brother Sonic..."

"Oh for the love of...LISTEN TO YOURSELF AMY, you call this thing your 'brother' even though he's a robotic hedgecat." Sonic folded his arms and tapped his foot impatiently, Tails would interject but he knew there was no reasoning with him at this rate. Maverick was silent, he knew that Amy cared about him, but to care so much about someone that you side with them instead of the love of your life? He didn't understand. "You haven't even seen the rest of me yet Sonic..." He said faintly, Sonic looked at him and said angrily, "What do you mean?" Maverick began to take off his clothes, part of him felt undignified but another part of him felt it was right. When he finished his entire body was exposed to three in the room, they could see the metal scars and patches across his entire body, Sonic felt bad for him at first but now that he could see Maverick's metallic figure, his theory had been proven.

"Amy..." he said, "Y-Yeah Sonic?" she responded nervously, Sonic dashed around Amy, grabbed Maverick by the arm and threw him out of Tails' house. "SONIC DON'T!" Amy screamed, Tails held her back to keep her from intervening, Amy was kicking and screaming in hopes of escaping his hold. Meanwhile on Tails' front yard Maverick stood up only to be knocked back down again by Sonic, it was clear that there was no escaping this, his only option was to fight.