Chapter 16

Sonic rang the doorbell again and still didn't get an answer, Sonic was starting to get impatient so he ran around Tails' house and looked through all the windows but didn't see him anywhere. Sonic tried for hours to get inside Tails' house but couldn't, he couldn't even break the door down because Tails installed some sort of security measure, Sonic ran back to Amy's house as fast as he could, worried Tails might have done something horrible. Sonic knocked on Amy's door, she soon answered the door and saw Sonic's horrified expression, "Sonic, what happened?" She asked him. "tailswontanswerhisdoorivebeentryingtofindhimbuticantbreakdownhisdoorad"

"Whoa, whoa, whoa Sonic slow down what are you trying to say?"

"It's Tails..." Sonic said cracking his voice, Amy didn't bother to ask anymore questions and went with Sonic to find Tails, Maverick went with them as well. They arrived and Amy got out her hammer and ran towards the door, it took 4 tries but she finally broke the door down, Sonic ran inside, searching for any sign of his little buddy, he looked under the couch, in the closet, he even went into Tails' lab and he wasn't there. Sonic ran to Tails' room and saw the door was closed, he ran up and knocked furiously, no response.

Sonic broke down and fell on his knees in sorrow, he didn't want to believe that he lost his best friend, and it was all his fault. Sonic sobbed as he started talking to himself, "I'm sorry Tails, I should've been a better friend, I shouldn't have pushed you like that, I...I...I." The door to Tails' bedroom opened and Sonic looked up with tears in his eyes, Tails looked down at his best friend and wiped away his tears, "Why are you crying?" He asked his big brother. Sonic was overcome with joy and hugged Tails with all his might, "Tails I...I thought you were..." Sonic couldn't get the words out as he continued to cry. Tails hugged Sonic back but was still confused, "Sonic, you thought I was what?" Sonic let go of Tails and said through his tears, "I...I...I thought you'd gone and done something stupid Tails, didn't you hear your doorbell ring?" Tails slowly pulled away from Sonic and they made eye contact, "Sonic, I was in the shower, I didn't hear the doorbell." Sonic looked at Tails with a confused expression on his face, Tails gave Sonic a comforting smile. Tails' expression changed when he realized what Sonic was trying to say, "Sonic, I would never do something like that, you know I wouldn't, right?"

"Tails..." Sonic said, not knowing what to say. Amy and Maverick found Sonic and Tails and Amy was about to hug Tails but Maverick stopped her, Maverick looked at Amy and shook his head, Amy knew what Maverick meant, he didn't want her to ruin the moment. Sonic got up and remembered what he was going to say before, "Tails, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have forced you to get back out there, I'm an idiot, can you ever forgive me?" Tails nodded and Sonic sniffled, Tails looked up at him and said, "You know, you could've just called." Sonic chuckled and hugged Tails again, "Just don't scare me like that again, okay?" He asked Tails quietly, "Don't worry Sonic." He said softly, "I won't, I promise..."