Chapter Five | The Capture

SO, GUESS WHO ESCAPED The League's space prison? If you guessed me, you're correct!

The heels of my boots clicked on the pavement of the rooftops. Honestly, I never thought I'd be so happy to see the streets again. The gasoline, screeching cars, and screams of the innocent may not have been the most ideal setting, but it was my home.

I finally arrived at the apartment which Selina and I owned. Red, worn out brick covered the exterior, with several pieces missing here and there. It had four stories and probably the ugliest door you've ever seen on the front. I couldn't count how many times I've wanted to kick it down and burn it.

I hopped onto the fire escape, which wasn't that far of a drop from the roof. Maybe ten feet, but I've survived worse. I tried to be as stealthy as possible and walked on my toes to prevent my heels from echoing on the metal surface. I slid open the window and stepped into the warm apartment; a sharp contrast from the chilly Gotham air.

I took a deep breath in, inhaling the usual lingering smell of coffee and old paper. "Honey!" I teased jokingly, "I'm home!"

Usually I would get a quirky response from my roommate, but this time I received nothing. I frowned as I walked deeper into the apartment.

"Hey Sel! Cat got your tongue?" I called out.

I stopped and peered down the hallway, which had no lights on. The eerie, horror-movie-ness of it all started to sink in, goosebumps slightly racing up my arms. Suddenly, the door slammed shut behind me. I whipped around towards the kitchen and saw no one.

I laughed a little nervously. "Hey, if this is some prank, I was just kidding about the whole, 'cat got your tongue' thing."

Still, nothing.

"Alright," I called out, "you've had your laugh. But this seriously isn't funny!"

I finally decided to risk it and walk down the hall. I made sure to use what Selina had taught me and always stay close to the wall, one hand near a weapon at all times. My hand hovered over my gun as I passed a small broom closet, which I swear I heard muffled yelling coming from inside.

Should I? Because in every horror movie, you always die when the girl opens the closet with the strange noise inside. Then again, if I didn't, who was going to? Because it wasn't like I was going to call the cops, or anyone of actual authority.

I shrugged. Someone had to do it. "Here goes nothing."

I threw open the door and got into a fighting stance, expecting something to lunge out at me. When nothing did, I let down my guard just a little bit to get a better look inside. I immediately dropped my defenses when I saw it was Selina.

Her hands and feet were bound, and she had a gag in her mouth. She was still in her suit; a little scratched up, but nothing we haven't had before. Her eyes widened when she saw me, and she started screaming again. I rolled my eyes and bent down to yank the cloth out of her mouth.

"Hey, what the hell? How'd this happeー"

Her eyes darted behind me, widening. "Behind you!"

I whirled around to see a fist flying towards my face. I let out a shout; barely being able to grab it and twist it behind the persons shoulder before shoving them roughly down the dark hall. I turned back to Selina with a look that said, 'what the actual hell?'

"Can you please explー"

"Duck!"

I dropped to the floor as something went whizzing over my head and nailed itself to the wall just above Selina. I groaned in exasperation, rapidly trying to untie her bonds while simultaneously as she continued to yell things.