Chapter Ten | The Chat

WHEN BRUCE JUMPED BACK out of the Bat-mobile, his face only said one thing: Leave me alone. I raised an eyebrow, but said nothing. I watched him as he walked to the computer and started typing. His cowl was pulled down and hung behind his neck like a hood, so I could see his eyebrows furrowed in anger. I walked up behind him and put an arm on the back of the big leather chair, watching what he was doing on the screen.

"Uh, Bruce?''

''What."

"You alright?''

''Fine.''

''Oookay then.''

I was silent for another moment, trying to think of all of the things that could annoy Bruce to the point of silence. And trust me, there weren't a lot, so it wasn't particularly hard to figure out.

"She's giving you grays, Bruce," I finally said, going out on a limb.

A pause.

"I'm thirty two."

"My point exactly."

I was met again with another bout of silence, and I groaned in frustration. Seeing that he wasn't going to talk to me again, I turned around and aimlessly walked around the cave.

My eyes caught on to the glinting hood of the Batmobile. I inwardly sighed. I hoped Bruce would let me drive it one day when I'm older, because let me tell you, that car is mega asterous. It's big yet sleek and quiet yet loud. A weird combination of engineering between Lucius Fox and some of Bruce's special tweaks, which made up the mechanical masterpiece that was the Batmobile.

As I walked around it I remembered all of the times I had tried to take it out for a joy ride as a kid. Since most ten year old boys were obsessed with cars in their younger years, the fact that I had the Batmobile at my disposal didn't help the situation.

My eyes drifted off to the back near the bumper, where a foreign object sat. I memorized everything on this car by heart, was it possible Bruce added something and didn't tell me? No, I would've seen it in the blueprints I hacked into.

But then that leads to the question of what it was, and how'd it get there?

I crouched down to get a better look at it, my eyes narrowing in confusion. It was a small, metal cylinder, nothing too fancy, with markings engraved on the side. Bruce had always told me never to touch anything I didn't know of, since it could be poisonous, but I picked it up anyways.

I held it closer to my face so I could see the markings.

See you soon, Bats.

My eyes widened as I stood up slowly and turned towards Bruce, still unaware of the current situation. Should I tell him? He'd probably kill himself if he realized he'd missed it. My mind immediately washed the thought away. If I didn't tell Bruce and he found out, he'd kill me first, and then himself.

"Um, Bruce..," I trailed off.

"What."

"I think you might want to, uh, see this."

I could heard the clacking of the keyboard come to a half as his chair turned around. His eyes trailed down to my hand where the cylinder was. He narrowed his eyes and stood up, walking closer to me.

"What is that?" he asked in his 'strike fear into the hearts of my enemies,' voice.

I felt my mouth run dry as he snatched it out of my hand. "Uhh.."

I watched as he read the writing on the side. His eyebrows furrowed before a wave of anger and shock washed over his features. He flipped the cylinder around, something I forgot to do, and found that it was hollow. On the inside was a very minuscule blinking red light, which was incredibly soft, but still noticeable.