Chapter Thirteen | The Cave

MAN, IF ONLY SELINA could see me now. (I'd like to think she'd be very proud. Or.. sending me to the asylum. Or both.) I stood outside of Wayne Manor, a hand on my hip and a bundle of nerves inside of me. Sure, there was a smirk plastered on my face, but it was mostly just for show. It was night, the moon illuminating the clouds. The wind was cold and crisp, blowing my brown locks all around my face.

"How to get inside, how to get inside.." I mused to myself as I cautiously walked around the lush perimeter of the manor.

The sound of an engine suddenly made me jump. I immediately ducked behind a tall shrub before slowly looking up. I saw a black limo rolling out from the driveway, with Alfred in the front seat. The back windows were tainted black, but if I squinted hard enough, I could make out two figures, one smaller than the other, which I assumed was Bruce and Dick.

I scoffed. They were honestly stupider than I thought.

When the limo disappeared from my line of sight, I got up from behind the shrub and ran up towards the nearest window, taking out my gun. I clicked the safety off and closed one eye, aiming it at the glass. I pulled the trigger, and the familiar echo of a shot rang out, but the bullet just bounced off of the glass.

I groaned in frustration and let my arm fall to my side.

Bullet proof glass.

"Yeah, because that's not suspicious at all," I said as I rolled my eyes, "guess I'm just gonna have to do this the old-fashioned way."

I walked over to the window and tried to pull it open, but it wouldn't budge. I furrowed my eyebrows and pulled harder. Nothing. I took out a small flashlight from my belt, turning it on and peering inside.

In place of where the window lock should've been, was a small, high-tech looking piece of machinery. I checked some of the other windows near it, and saw they all had the same thing. I now totally regret not listening to Lex when he tried to teach me about hacking.

I thought for a moment, deciding that if I couldn't go through, I'd just have to go up. I took out my grapple gun and shot it up to the roof, hearing it latch onto something. Then I pulled the trigger and flew up to the roof. My feet touched down on the hard surface. I quickly reset the line and tucked the gun back into my holster.

I scanned my surrounding, taking small steps as I looked for any points of entry. Suddenly, something shiny caught my eye. I glanced down at the sky window, the moonlight bouncing off of its reflective surface.

They didn't close it all the way.

I smirked and bent down, prying the window open. I looked inside and didn't see any traps. The moonlight now covered the tiled floor as I slowly lowered myself through the opening. I landed in a crouch, and when I stood up, I realized I had been in this room before. It was the kitchen that I (as Brielle, obviously) had been in not even a week ago.

"Okay," I muttered, "now for the hard part."

* * *

It had been about twenty minutes before I finally found the correct hallway. Was it even possible for this place to look bigger at night? I sauntered down the carpeted floor as I approached the big clock at the end. I really hoped that I had been right about all of this, or else this is pretty much just a bust.

I reached forwards and starting pushing the clock to the right, the way which the carpet had been disturbed. It wouldn't budge. I pushed harder. After a few moment I sighed, pausing. There had to be another way to open this.

I reached into my belt and pulled out a small, blacklit flashlight. I started running it over the surface of the clock, seeing if there were any fingerprints left anywhere. There were a few on the sides, but nothing helpful. I trailed up. When I passed the top of the clock, I suddenly saw a plethora of prints on the hands.