Chapter Twenty One | The Babysitter

CRUNCHING.

THE SWEET FLAVOR of sugar and milk spilled across my tongue. I furrowed my eyebrows, eyes darting across the bland-looking room.

I sat there for a good few minutes before my teeth clinked on the metal of the spoon, signaling all of my cereal was gone. I reached for the red box with the grinning leprechaun and began dumping the contents into the milk. My eyes still hadn't left the front door at the opposite end of the room.

Suddenly the sound of jingling keys rang from the other side, and the wood swung open. A woman with pale skin, curly brown hair, and dark eyes walked in.

As she set her keys down, she gave me a disappointed look. I continued to chew on the colorful marshmallows, unblinking, as the woman pulled out a chair with a screech and sat down across from me.

"Brielle."

Her tone was patronizing, which just made my eyebrows furrow deeper into my forehead.

"You have to stop using it."

Silence.

I set down the spoon and wiped my mouth with my hand.

"I only did cocaine, like, one time. It made my nose itchy."

The woman looked like she wanted to slam her head into the table. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath.

"No, not drugs. You can't keep using—"

"I've only smoked weed twice, honest."

"Brielle—"

"Okay maybe three times, but I've never done heroin!"

"No, Brielle, you can't keep..."

Even though her mouth kept moving, her words faded off into the background. I rubbed my eyes, looked back up, and was suddenly staring into the midnight cowl of Batman.

I narrowed my eyes. He still had the body of the woman, and his mouth was still moving like she was talking.

I rubbed my eyes again.

Cerulean eyes behind a black curl stared back.

Rub.

I frowned at the new face.

"Aren't you Batsy's butler?"

Gray hair, tired eyes, and a crisp suit blinked at me.

I rubbed my eyes one more time, and it was back to the lady with the curly hair. 

"Brielle, don't you dare wake up right now," the woman warned, her tone dangerous.

I glanced back down at the table.

"Hey, my cereal's gone."

"Brielle," the woman's voice got louder, "do not wake up!"

I sighed.

"I really want more cereal."

"Brielle! Do not-- ugh. You can't keep using your--!"

I opened my eyes, brain aching from the darkness. I reached over, my hand feeling around on the table for the lamp, switching it on. I groaned at the sudden light. Sitting up, I thought back to my dream.

"Weird," I muttered, swinging my sock-covered feet off the bed.

Yeah, I sleep with socks on. Sue me.

However, on the bright side, cereal sounds like a great idea right now.

I walked towards my door and down the hall, barely making a sound. I inwardly patted myself on the back for finding my way to the kitchen without getting lost. Opening one of the many sleek cabinets, I pulled out the box of Lucky Charms.