Chapter Sixteen | The Team

"YOU'RE ACTUALLY JUST GOING to believe Batman and his bullshit?"

I rolled my eyes as I zipped my boot up. "It's not like I had a choice. And I don't believe him."

"Not like you had a choice?" the archer repeated questioningly. "I don't think you know what a choice sounds like, Brielle."

I stood up, glaring. "Think whatever you want, Roy. And don't call me that. You shouldn't even know who I am, anyways."

"What?" he chuckled as he slung his quiver over his back. "Scared I'm gonna tell Batman who you are?"

"If you could get close enough to him without getting your teeth knocked out, sure," I said sarcastically.

"Yeah, yeah. Now do me a favor and get out of my apartment."

I finished strapping my weapons on, flashing him a dry smile. "Thanks again, Harper."

"Whatever." He crossed his arms. "Just know that this makes us even, which means you can't just call me whenever you want anymore."

I paused on my way towards the fire escape. "You mean at least until you need something else from me, right?"

An eye roll.

"Goodbye, Brielle."

A smirk.

"Later, Roy."

* * *

"Orange juice, water, burnt cookies, soda, cookies, more cookiesー ugh! Who the hell is making all of these cookies?"

I slammed the fridge door shut, blowing out a single breath of frustration as I set my hands on my hips. This freakin' base is so lame and I've been here for about 20 minutes. I mean, can you say "teachers pets?"

I was just trying to find a simple glass of water to go with my turkey sandwich. A glass of water! Given the size of the place, how hard was that? Apparently very difficult. (It was probably all used up by Aquadude and Squidkid, let's not lie.)

I stalked back to the counter and hoisted myself up onto the gray counter top. Taking an angry bite of the sandwich with one hand, I picked at the corner of my nail with the other. What a snooze! I should be arguing it up with Supes or flirting with the Boy Blunder by now. And what am I doing? Eating a damn sandwich in a damn base all by my damn self!

A part of me started to wonder if Selina and Pam were right. Maybe I should've actually stayed; maybe I should've actually thought for a second and not just said yes to that stupid deal. I seem to do that a lot nowadaysー I guess arrogance is my fatal flaw.

But I still don't understand how Selina could have the audacity to blame me! She raised me to never back down from a challenge, and it's not exactly like she keeps her cool when Bats comes around either. And so in walks Superman all high-and-mighty, followed by the entire team of Justice Babies while I'm in a chokehold from Batman. He approaches me with a deal which would make me look like a coward to say no to, and obviously I had to show these children who was boss, so what did Selina expect me to do? Say no? Go to Arkham again? It's not like I had much of a choice!

I was suddenly snapped from my thoughts by a computerized voice filling the room.

"Superman 0-1, Batman 0-2, Wonder Woman 0-3, Aquaman 0-6, Martian Manhunter 0-7, Green Arrow 0-8, Black Canary 1-3."