Chapter Nineteen | The Mission

"WHAT DID YOU just say?"

A shit-eating grin spread across his face, pearly whites shining mischievously and I could practically feel those stupid blue eyes gleaming arrogantly.

I couldn't find it in myself to copy him.

I had idiotically fallen from my confident stance— I didn't need a mirror to know that the definition of shock was written all over my face.

"What did you just say?" I repeated, this time in a low whisper, with what I'm not entirely sure was just fake confusion anymore.

"I said—"

"C'mon, Kal! I said I was sorry!" a voice suddenly cried from behind us. "Not my fault Supes can't take a joke!"

The sound of cracking knuckles rang through the hall followed by a sigh soon after.

I didn't bother turning around. After all, it didn't take being the World's Greatest Detective to put two and two together. Instead, I kept my eyes trained on the boy in front of me. For once in my life, I genuinely had no idea what to say. If he knows, does that mean the whole team knows? Does the League know? Does Bats know? Oh man, Selina's going to kill me if Batman finds out her identity!

"Blackout," the deep voice of Squidkid—apparently Kal, now— came from behind, "I see you've officially met Robin."

"Yeah," I breathed out, not bothering to turn around, "I did."

The youngest of the boys turned his grin towards their, well, our leader. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Squidkid raise a questioning brow, but opted to say nothing.

"Team, report to the mission room for mandatory training."

We all paused, glancing up towards the speaker where the voice of Bats had just come out of. Squidkid's shoulders relaxed, almost as if he was happier to train than to deal with Superclone and Kid Idiot. We began to walk back towards the main room, Kid staying dangerously close to Squidkid while Superboy stalked behind them doing all but burning lasers into the speedsters head.

Dick— Robin— Boy Blunder?— honestly at this point I really had no idea where we stood in terms of names— and I trailed a few feet behind them. "You know," he started in a hushed tone, "I'll give credit where credit is due: you really had me fooled at Lex's gala. I didn't realize acting and killing went hand in hand."

I rolled my eyes for what felt like the umpteenth time. "Quit it with the niceties— lets cut to the chase. How did you know about the simulation?"

"Um, hello? I'm a detective?" he stated as if that answered my question.

"I wasn't aware that detectives in training got access to big League stuff."

"They don't," he snickered, "but hackers in training do."

"So you're actually admitting to me that you went behinds Bats' back?"

He scoffed. "What are you gonna do? Tell him? You seem to be forgetting the small part of this conversation where I know who you are."

"Wait," I grabbed his forearm and stopped both of us mid-walk, "Bats doesn't know?"

"Not as far as I'm concerned. But he is Batman, so I wouldn't exactly be surprised if it turns out he knew from the beginning," he said pointedly.

My eyebrows scrunched up in confusion. "So, assuming he doesn't know, how did you find out?"

He stared at me as if the answer was obvious before jabbing his thumb into his chest. "Hacker in training, remember? And you should really put a password on your phone before showing up at my house."