Chapter Seventeen | The Test

I SWUNG FROM THE rooftops, wind blowing through my hair and giggles breezing over my lips. Selina was in front of me, her muscles rippling under her suit every time she made a jump onto the next building; long legs looking almost spider-like as her heels pounded onto the ground.

"Come on, Bri! We don't have all day!"

I snickered, flipping onto the roof and falling into sync with her. I retracted my grappling line and attached it to my belt as I made a particularly big jump. I crouched into a roll, letting the tension roll through my body before hopping back up to my feet and continuing.

I laughed, feeling completely free; adrenaline pumping through my veins with Selina at my side I was unstoppable. When we finally approached the museum, we slowed to a halt and peered in through the sky window, moonlight illuminating our silhouettes on the tile floor. I glanced up to find Selina already grinning at me, resonance device in her hand.

"Ready?"

I smirked.

"Born."

She placed the small piece on metal onto the window. A high-pitched sound rung through the night and echoed off of the alley walls below. Suddenly the glass shattered beneath our feet. As we fell in with the shards, I laughed. Then the alarmsloud and ear-shattering as everwent off.

I shot up from my bed.

I groaned, wiping the sleep from my eyes. Alarms were blaring in my ears. I muttered incoherent words before grabbing a side of the pillow and pulling it over my ears. It didn't help; the sound still pierced through the cotton. I bolted upright, a flash of anger searing through me. I haphazardly flung my hand towards the small bedside table and felt around for my phone, hastily picking it up and squinting at the sudden brightness.

"You gotta be kiddin' me," I slurred as 4:21 flashed on the screen.

I threw my phone back down and tried to sleep again.

Beep!

Beep!

Beep!

Beep!

"God dammit," I growled as I ripped the covers off, throwing my mask on and marching to my door. I punched in the pass code before the door slid open with a hiss. I stepped out into the hall. It was cold, alarms still blasting like a chorus of trumpets. If this was just some stupid drill, I swear on my own life that I was going to personally hunt down Bats and rip his ears off myself.

I looked down both hallsー they were still empty. I frowned. Was I the only one who had hearing on this team?

I cautiously padded down the hall. I silently prayed that there wasn't an intruderー not because I was afraid, but because I was sneaking around the base in gray fuzzy socks, an over-sized black shirt which said "Cats Rule, Boys Drool," and my domino mask. If anyone saw me, my reputation would be over for, like, ever.

I entered the kitchen which was dimly lit by a few lights, a green hue falling over the room. Still, no one was in sight. The alarms were still ringing distantly, but I drowned them out, instead choosing to focus on the humming of the fridge. My body was on high alert; ready to pounce at any given moment as I crept around the counter.