Chapter Twelve | The Week

THE WIND BLEW THROUGH my hair as I swung down towards the bank. Right as my feet were almost touching the ground, I pulled the trigger on the grappling gun and reeled the line back in. I landed in a crouch, sinking into the shadows of the alleyway as I inspected the scene unfolding across the street.

At least fifteen police cars had lined up in front of the bank, all officers hidden behind their respective car doors, guns aimed at the front of the bank. To the side, another line of policemen were attempting to hold the crowd and reporters back. My gaze shifted to the middle of the scene where a man in a brown trench coat stood, a megaphone in his right handー Commissioner Gordon.

"Attention," he called, his voice booming down the block, "this is Gotham P.D. You are surrounded. Release the hostages and come out with your hands up."

I rolled my eyes. I honestly couldn't stand that man. He reminded me of Bats, but without the black cape and cool cars. As he continued to bark orders, I realized that this was just a couple of street thugs pulling this off. I was kind of hoping it would be Penguin or someone who actually knows how to have some fun.

I was still contemplating what to do, when a shadow appeared in front of me in the street light. I turned my head up, just in time to jump out of the way as a black mass landed next to me. It ducked into a crouch as I had, and it took me a moment to process who is was before I snickered.

"Heya, Bats. How's it going?" I asked, still looking across the street as I copied him and squatted down next to him.

"What are you doing here."

I slightly shrugged my shoulders. "Heard there was some heist going down, decided to come check it out. Found out it was just some thugs. Still deciding if I should go in or not. You?"

When there was no response, I rolled my eyes.

"Ohh, I get it," I hummed, "this is that 'bat language' thing, right? I've seen you and Robin do this a lot. And.. now I have to guess what you're saying? Okay then. I'm game. Let's see.. hmm.. you're here to stop the heist?"

A pause.

"And they say I'm the detective."

My mouth slightly fell open as I tried to process what he had just said. Did Batmanー the Dark Knight, the Protector of Gotham, the Caped Crusaderー just make a joke?

I didn't have time to question it, when gunshots were heard from inside the building. The crowd of people started to scream, and the chorus of reporters trying to ask questions only got louder. Next thing I know, Bats had already fired a line onto the top of the bank and was gone.

"Hey!" I called as I stumbled to grab my grappling gun from the side of my belt. I followed in suit of the Dark Knight and hooked a line to the top of the bank. I pulled the trigger and suddenly I was off, air billowing through my hair as I soared above the crowd. I heard some gasps and shouts as I reached the top of the roof. I glanced back down for a moment to see some people pointing at me, but there was too much chaos happening at once for the entire crowd to fully notice.

My attention turned back to where Bats had gone, and saw the end of his cape disappear behind one of the metal boxes. I jogged up to catch him. When I caught up, he was crouched down again, staring through the sky roof of the bank.

"Hey!" I whispered, walking over to the opposite side of the window and kneeling down. "Did you just make a joke?"

"Why are you still here?"

I paused, slightly let down that he didn't have a good comeback, but also pondering his question. Why was I still here? I found myself shrugging again. "I told you. I came here to have some fun, but it turns out this was pulled by some random amateur thugs. And so now I'm disappointed and bored."