Chapter Twenty Three | The Score

"THE TRUE IDENTITY OF THE BATMAN."

Alfred gasped.

"Mr. Freeze couldn't bring the heat!" Penguin began to monologue, and I couldn't help but roll my eyes. What a rookie mistake for a veteran criminal. "Catwoman needed sharper claws. Not even that screw-loose Joker could pull off what I'm about to do!"

Penguin got closer to Bruce's face, who had just begun to wake up. "Wakey wakey, eggs and bakey. It's time for your close up! Ladies and gentlemen, may I present to you, the man behind the Bat!"

He had barely pulled the cowl from his nose when I found my body lunging forward.

"Wait!"

My heart froze for a moment as all attention turned to me.

"Blackout?" Penguin questioned.

I paused, taking a deep breath before I fell into my usual smirk as I sauntered up to the man. "You were really gonna expose his identity without me? I'm hurt, Pengy. Really."

I walked over, snatching the umbrella from his hands, which he luckily didn't think much of. I turned to the camera with a smile.

"Hello, world. You probably already know me, and if you don't, well, get out from your grave and smell the roses. I think we can all agree it would hardly be a newsworthy moment if I wasn't here, hm? Now that I've arrived, we can appropriately expose the identity of this idiot. Penguin? Care to do the honors?"

He glared at me, gritting his teeth. "I was already getting there."

"Aw, c'mon Peng. You're a star— a legend! You're pulling off one of the most infamous feats to ever go down in Gotham history! Relish in it."

He bloomed with pride, seeming to agree with me, and cackled once again. "Well, in that case, may I present--!"

"Actually," I cut in, a smirk plastered on my lips as strong as ever. "Allow me."

I slammed the umbrella over the short man's head and he fell to the floor with a groan. Chaos quickly ensued in the room once again. The Red Ladies lunged at me, and I narrowly avoided their sharp claws and lengthy limbs. I twisted and turned, jumping over furniture which quickly got torn up, then somehow managing to kick one of them in the face.

Sooner or later, Penguin composed himself and got up, sounding enraged.

"Blackout! What are you doing? This isn't helping expose his identity!"

Yeah, no shit.

I jumped over him, making him crouch down to avoid being sliced in half by one of the ladies.

"Unlike literally the rest of the Gotham underground, I don't know if you realized, Oswald, but I'm currently working for the guy over there."

I turned over to where Bats was previously laying on the ground to find nothing but the floor.

"You're wha--!"

Penguin didn't have time to finish his sentence before receiving a hard kick to the gut from none other than Batman himself.

"Well it's about time!" I twirled around him just to catch a brief break from the ladies. "You're one of the world's greatest heroes but it takes you that long to wake up from a punch to the face?"

There was no response as the fighting continued.

"By the way," I added, throwing one of the ladies over my shoulder and looking at him. "This makes us one-one in saves."