Chapter 2

"So, what's South Carolina all about?" Margot asked me, seemingly interested on the topic. We were headed down to the cafeteria.

"Um, it's pretty nice I guess. I don't know much else. I'm from a small suburb outside of Charleston. You've probably never heard of it-"

"Hey Magsters, wait up!" I was interrupted from a loud call from behind us. A tall boy, no shorter than 6"4, came running up towards me and Margot with the goofiest grin on his face.

"Hey, Bruce!" Margot called out, flailing her arms around in odd directions.

The boy, Bruce, came up and shoved his way between us. He dropped his arm around Margot.

"And who might this me Mac-Attack?" He looked down at me. I stood above average for a girl, measuring at 5"6, but Bruce literally had to turn his head down to look at me.

"This," Margot began, taking Bruce's arm from around her shoulders and moving to my right hand side putting me in the middle, "is Emily. She just moved here from Charleston."

He put his arm around me. "Ah Charleston, where the tea is sweet and the girls are sweeter." I nodded my head, and looked to the ground. A awkward silence hung in the air for a moment.

"Don't mind him. He's a flirt. Bruce has asked out almost every girl in Pines." He rolled his eyes.

"Not true. I haven't asked Em yet. Speaking of which, would you like to-"

Bruce was interrupted by an aggressive punch to the arm delivered by the one and only Margot. I stepped back behind them a few paces.

"Ouch!" Bruce shouted gritting his teeth. Margot just gave a squinty eyed 'I don't give a flying fuck' grin.

We reached the cafeteria and were greeted by the roar of conversations.

"Do you buy lunch or..." Margot asked, interlocking her arm with mine. She gave a wave to Bruce and he went to take a seat at a round table in the left side of the room. Other people were sitting there too, and greeted him with high fives.

"I'm buying today. To nervous to pack this morning."

"I pack, but I'll wait with you. Make sure no other weirdos like Bruce come up to you."

"Weirdo?" I asked perplexed. "I though you two were-"

"Together? No." Margot tried to stifle a laugh. My cheeks began to heat up in embarrassment.

"Oh, um I just assumed so. You just seem so-"

"Close? Yeah, lots of people think we're together. I'm pretty sure my mom was convinced we were dating for awhile." I reached out for an apple from the salad bar. "We're neighbors, Bruce and I. Been friends since Kindergarten."

I grabbed my tray and Margot led the way to the table that Bruce sat at. She grabbed a seat for me, and placed it at the table. I sat down.

"So you must be Emily. I'm Scarlette." A short girl with short, dark and curly hair stuck out her hand for me to shake. I graciously accepted.

"I would introduce myself but you seem to know already." Scarlette laughed.

"And I'm Elliot," a painfully plain boy stuck out his hand for me to shake. He was so close to being attractive. Platinum blonde, almost white hair stuck out from his head. His eyes were black and his nose long and rounded.

I lost track of names after meeting a few more people. The entire first part of lunch was filled with questions. Margot and Bruce's friend group proved to be very inquisitive, and sought every answer they could from me about my old home.

"Is it warm there?"

"What about the beaches? There not freezing down there are they?"

"What about food? Is it different here?"

I answered them to the best of my ability, but I got tired quickly. I made an excuse to go over to the water fountain.

"Do you want me to walk over with you?" Scarlette asked.

"No I'm fine. Thanks though."

I walked over to the fountain. On either side were the entrances to the restroom. I approached the fountain on the girls side, worried that they were designated for different sexes.

I dipped my head down, and allowed the water to cool my lips and throat. I stood back up and wiped the remaining water droplets from my mouth.

I spun around and came face to chest with someone.

"I'm sorry I-" I looked up to meet the strangers eyes. He was undoubtedly the most beautiful creature I had ever seen. Realizing I was staring, I snapped out of my gaze. "Um, I'll just...go." I looked to the floor stumbling over my words.

I made it back over to the table without sending a glance back to him. But oh, was I tempted.

I sat back in my seat and scanned the cafeteria. I found him, the boy from the water fountain, sitting at a table with another boy.

I tapped Margot on the wrist. She turned to look at me. "Say, who's that over there." I said looking over at him. She followed my gaze.

"Oh that's Grayson and Ethan. Twins. Double the trouble, double the fun."

I turned my eyesight away from them and back to my half eaten salad. However, I couldn't get over the feeling of being watched. I turned back towards Grayson. He was staring right at me. At the dead center of my eyes.