Chapter 8

It had finally arrived, Saturday. I woke up early, before the sun had a chance to rise above the horizon. My room was dark so I turned on my bedside lamp. It didn't add much light.

I didn't want to, but I pulled myself out of bed. I strewn my covers across the floor so that my footsteps could be muffled. Billy slept right under me, and I didn't want to wake him.

The curtains were closed on my windows, so I opened them expecting a wave of early morning sunlight to waft through. But it didn't. Instead, the sky was a dark grey and the clouds swirled around each other in intricate patterns. Perhaps this is what Grayson warned me about.

Continuing to muffle my footsteps, I shuffled over to my closet and picked out the outfit I had already decided to wear today. Though, I did opt to bring a raincoat as well do to the inclement, I easily changed into my bathing suit.

It was later now, about 6:45. I read and texted the group until I was sure my dad was awake. When I heard fussing coming from the kitchen, I went my way down the stairs.

Billy was in the kitchen mixing batter, throwing blueberries into the mix until there was more berry then batter.

"Hey, dad. Morning." I said sleepily, rubbing my eyes as I walked over to the pantry grabbing for a plastic cup. I put it under the ice dispenser and filled it up halfway. Then, I went back to the pantry and filled it up with grape juice.

All the while, dad said: "Hey sweet pea. What time will your friends be over?"

I looked over at the clock above the stove and saw that it was 6:50. They were all supposed to be at my house around 7:15.

"In twenty five minutes," he smiled and sorted the batter into even circles onto a frying pan.

"Text your friends and see if they want breakfast. I have enough to feed everyone in Pines.

I pulled out my phone and opened the texting app, selecting our group chat.

Emily: How about breakfast at my house?

Elliot responded almost right away.

Elliot: sure. im down for it. itll save us money cuz now we dont hav 2 buy breakfast. wat do u guys think

Scarlette: Seems absolutely perfect for me! I'm with Margot and Bruce and they say it's great for them too. Btw, we're outside of your house right now Ells, come outside!!!!

Elliot: o, ok. I see you lol😂 b rite out

I knew where Elliot lived because dad and I pass his house everyday after school. He didn't live far, so I knew the group would be here soon.

There was a knock on the door just as Billy finished preparing the pancakes. Knowing my dad, he made blueberry and chocolate chip pancakes. He was right, he had made enough food to feed everyone in Pines.

I opened the door to the bright and smiling faces of my friends. Bruce had on his normal goofy grin and his purple hair was a mess. He reached down, and hugged me. I hugged back. We all hugged each other but no one lingered as long as Bruce.

I showed all of them to the table and pulled up an extra chair for Scarlette and myself. Dad brought over the pancakes and offered orange or grape juice.

A light rain began to fall. The wind swirled with leaves and carried them across the front lawn. Could the weather be what Gray was warning me about?

"So, Mr. Clarks," Dad swallowed the food that was in his mouth preparing for what Bruce was going to say next. "I've heard about your new business. How's it been so far."

"Great and getting better. Bruce isn't it?"

"Yes, sir it is."

I've been getting the feeling that Bruce may feel a different way about me. Respectably handsome, smart, goofy. He was well liked among other girls too, but I needed him as a friend much more then anything else right now. Also, anytime I thought of us being together, my mind always wondered off to Grayson.

The rest of breakfast was a bore and we were leaving about ten minutes after everyone arrived. After Elliot took a bathroom break, he and the rest of the group were off. I hugged Billy and left. He looked worried, knowing that being in the water was not my favorite place to be.

Scarlette, Margot, and I climbed into the back of the truck with Elliot in the passengers and Bruce in the drivers seats. I had came prepared with my book To Kill a Mocking Bird and extra sunblock to protect my fair complexion (though the weather didn't allow the sun to peek through).

Bruce turned us down a road the went opposite of the west side of town. It was overgrown and seemed to be deserted. No other cars were in sight. That was until we turned another corner and saw the flashing lights of a police car up ahead.

"What the," Elliot said as we approached the clump of cop cars. Bruce slowed down the car so that we could see the scene much easier.

On the other side of the road, the ground slanted drastically. At the bottom was a black pick up truck wound in police tap and surrounded by crime scene investigators. In the side of the vehicle were two deep dents. I wasn't able to see much else, but from what I did see it appeared as if something had crashed into the car.

But what struck me hardest was it was the same exact truck the boys who tried to pick me up drove.