Chapter 9

We arrived at Dead Mans Peak. It was a beautiful place. Tall cliffs surrounded the lake body giving it a secluded feel. In the distance, mountains shot up from the mist surrounding them. It was rainy here too, but nothing above a light drizzle.

We pulled up into a makeshift parking space. Scarlette was the first to hop out of the car and I soon followed. Bruce got out too, and opened the back of the truck. With Elliot's help, he untied the tube and water skies and handed them to me and Scarlette. Margot was still in the car calling her mom.

With our arms full of skis and floats, Scarelette and I walked over to her fathers boat docked and tucked away in a secret sort of cove. The boats model was relatively new but nothing compared to what my dad owns. It was still nice though.

"Just throw them wherever," Scarette told me as she put her stuff down. I did the same. I felt a buzz from my pocket imeaditly assuming it was Billy texting me. Instead an onscreen emergency message appeared.

It was a weather warning. Being from the coast, I was used to hurricanes and storms but the foreboding clouds that hung in the horizon seemed to hold something new and brought about a deep fear.

Scarlettes phone buzzed too, and she brought it from her pocket to look at. She wrinkled her forehead then looked out to the horizon.

"Did you get one too?" She asked me.

"A weather alert? Yes."

"Should we just call it off. I'm all about having fun but not when it's reckless."

I nodded my head. "Yeah. I'm sure everyone has gotten a message too."

She hopped out of the boat and Scarlette and I walked over to the truck where the rest of the group were gathered.

"Em and I got a weather alert," she didn't get go finish her thought before Elliot and Bruce butted in saying,

"It doesn't appear to be all that bad,"

"I say we just wait it out."

Margot shrugged her shoulders and put her hands up in a defensive matter. As much as I didn't like the idea of possibly being struck down by lightning, I decided to agree with the boys. After all, I wanted to be the life of the party for once. We all agreed, though Scarlette did so reluctantly, to go out onto the boat in fifteen minutes after the warning past.

During the waiting period, we stayed in the car sheltering ourselves from the steadily increasing rain. Scarlette, Margot, and I discussed music. Slowly, Bruce and Elliot began to butt in, and we broke into an all out war on the best song on the charts right now.

The rain got louder, sounding like nails scratching away at the roof of the car. It poured down harder with each passing second. The windows were condensed over now handicapping my ability to see out the window.

More minutes passed as the rain continued to fall. I began to fear what could be lurking on the other side of the window.

My fears came to life when I saw a black shadow zoom past the window. I looked over the Margot planning to ask if she saw it too, but she was too focused on her phone screen. It was my imagination, it had to be.

Again, a shadow zoomed past, no one noticed. I felt my pulse quicken. Everyone in the car simultaneously plugged in their earphones as the rain began to crash louder and louder still. It was as if they had all fallen under a trance. An eerie feeling washed over me. I heard all of their music get louder until all I could hear was a mixture of rain hitting the windshield and indie music.

Then, ever so faintly etched on the window, their was a word. Formed by the condensation that covered the glass, was something terrifying.

LEAVE

Was written in all caps.