Chapter 30

Grayson almost didn't let me go home once the storm passed. I wasn't even sure if I wanted to, not yet anyway.

"Grayson will drive in the car with you," Nate told his son and me as we walked into the garage. "I'll be in the car behind you, just to make sure no funny business goes down."

I nodded my head and gulped. The severity of the situation had finally began to soak in yet again. I was selfish of me to think, but I was hoping that Grayson would be able to stay by my side and protect me. He couldn't though, and I knew it. After all, New Ages need sleep almost as much as humans.

Grayson pulled his car out of the garage followed by Nate who trailed about one hundred feet behind us. As we drifted onto the highway, the distance between our two cars grew, but Gray's dad never went so far that his headlights were out of sight.

"Is it okay if I call Billy?" I asked. Grayson's face tensed.

"Who?"

"Oh," I said remembering that Grayson didn't know I sometimes called my dad by his first name. "Billy's my dad." His face heated up with embarrassment.

"I'm glad you got so defensive though, it's cute on you."

"Is it really?" Grayson sarcastically asked me. I rolled my eyes.

Each time the phone rang, my anxiety worsened. Gray seemed to have noticed so he placed him hand on mine. I felt immeasurably calmer.

Finally, on the sixth or seventh ring, Billy picked up.

"Hello?" His voice rang out.

"Hey dad, how was the storm?"

"Nothing happened! I think they cancelled school for nothing. How was your day?"

"Great!" I said smiling over at Grayson. "We had a nice time."

"Oh, I see. You really like this guy huh?"

"Dad!" I exclaimed.

I knew Grayson could hear every word that Billy was saying loud and clear. Heck, with his heightened senses I bet Gray could smell my dad through the phone.

"I'll see you soon, love you." I said eager to end the embarrassing phone call.

"I love you too."

I ended the call and turned off my phone.

Grayson didn't have to pay any money at the toll bridge since the city had finally raised enough money to pay for it.

"What do I do about the vampires?" I asked Grayson with a sigh. His muscles tensed and he held onto my hand even tighter. Gray's grip was borderline painful, but I let it go knowing that he gesture was that of love.

"We have a plan."

His answer was hardly satisfying.

"What plan? You came up with a plan? When, today? I was with you the entire time."

His eyes narrowed as he focused on the road ahead. "The plan for your protection. And no, my family didn't just come up with it today. We'd known something was up, just not exactly what. We're going to guard you and
Billy until the threat has passed."

"What about my friends? Won't they be hunted?" I asked. We were beginning to argue.

"Probably not. Besides, Bruce doesn't smell that great anyway. His blood would be too bitter."

I didn't know if Grayson was joking or if he was serious, but judging by his expression, the boy was dead serious.

"I have more friends then just Bruce you know."