Chapter 31

I was standing in the woods somewhere. The rain fell down around me in gentle sheets. Thunder rolled out from the sky somewhere in the east. I looked around myself more carefully, there were no paths or any evidence that someone had been in these woods for awhile.

Staying where I was seemed like the smart thing to do judging by the fact that I had no idea where I was and in know way could I identify my surroundings. It was stupid and I knew it, even in my sleep, that running off info the trees was a bad move. Yet I did anyways. There was a silent voice somewhere in the trees beckoning me to follow.

I start of walking towards the whispers keeping my pace slow and steady, conserving as much energy as possible. The steadied my pace however, the fainter the voices became. I started to run. Each stride I took amplified the whispers so I ran faster, my lungs burning and heart bounding, thirsting for oxygen and a break. I wouldn't give in, I couldn't give in to my bodies needs, these voices were to
important.

My path reached a clearing and the voices stopped abruptly. Some of the whispers were in mid sentence, there last thoughts were vanished and forgotten. I could barely remember what they were saying even though I'd only just heard them moments ago.

The clearing was wide and rectangular in shape. It was covered in tall, dead, brown grass whose coverage seemed to have stretched on for miles. To the east and west were the fields and to the north and south were the trees.

The place was so silent that the snapping of a twig from the woods behind me rang out with the intensity of a scream. I whipped my head around eager to see what had caused the commotion.

Grayson was standing on the tree line looking out to me and holding out his hand. He smiled, and walked towards me, his hand always extended for me to take. I grinned back at Gray and started to walk up towards him with my hand extended too.

We were about twenty feet away now when a dark figure emerged from the woods behind Grayson. I couldn't see its face, but I knew, somehow deep in my gut, that whatever it was didn't carry any good omens.

The creature approached Grayson from the back slowly, careful to remain silent like a predator stalks its prey. I had barely enough time to yell before the hooded figure pounced on the boys back, sending Grayson into a fit of screams.

Tears streamed down my face as I ran up to my boy. He too was crying by now, and the pain inflicted my the monster was almost causing him his consciousness.

I was six feet away from Grayson's mangled body by now. The hooded creature had inflicted deep scratch wounds on the boys back. Gray wasn't healing quickly like he was supposed to either, so I knew that my boy was incredibly weakened.

I tried to get closer to the two of them, but an invisible forced seemed to have been holding me back. I struggled, I fought with all of my might to keep the force at bay and leap at the creature then hopefully be able to save Grayson.

Gray stopped screaming after another ten seconds and fell limp to the ground. The creature wasn't done with him just yet though. It brought its clawed fist down hard on Grayson's torso, shattering him like a piece of fine china. I screamed in agony as the creature let out an evil cackle. I fell to my knees and cried.

"Emily, why are you crying?" Grayson's voice asked. I looked up with a smile, my vision blurred by tears.

"Grayson, I-" I whipped the tears from my eyes with my tattered shirt sleeve before continuing. I looked back up expecting to see Grayson.