Chapter 15

My gash was missing. It had completely disappeared without a trace, like the sun lost in a sea of clouds. I blinked harshly before looking in the mirror again. Sure enough, it was still gone.

Grayson's car was stopped at another red light. I grabbed the sides of his face and roughly snatched his eyesight towards me.

"Look at me!" He was looking all right. Looking at me like I was completely insane.

"What's so different?" I rolled my eyes, thinking he was joking.

"My cut, it's gone!" I could feel my cheeks cramping from smiling so big and so long. He looked confused.

"What do you mean? It was never that bad to begin with."

"Cut the crap, Gray. Take me back to the hospital something's going on. It disappeared. Something's weird."

Grayson shrugged. "Maybe the doctor used Miracle Grow?"

"No, they did not." Gray smiled slightly out towards the oncoming traffic.

I stayed quiet for a moment as our light turned green. When we were about a mile from my house it said, "It was weird. You know what it feels like when you skin your knee?" Gray nodded. "Well, it was like that but backwards. And worse. Kind of like getting patched up like a pillow or something."

I couldn't even tell him the weirdest part. The pain came from when he kissed my cheek. From his lips. His kiss seemed to heal me. In that moment, I began to fear Grayson. What was he?

******

Dad wasn't home yet so I just sat on the couch and watched reality tv. It was nothing like reality like always. Reality is not everyone living in L.A. in a huge mansion blowing thousands of dollars everyday. Reality is much less interesting. But no one wants to watch a stay at home mom travel to the grocery store for entertainment.

Around 2:20 I got a call from Scareltte.

Scareltte: Hey Em, sorry about what happened earlier. You make it home safely?

Emily: Yes I did thanks for asking. How was the rest of the trip?

Scareltte: It was alright I guess. Bruce couldn't stop talking and thinking about you. Oh and Elliot's really upset about the whole situation. He really didn't mean to go that fast. He doesn't remember most of it really. No one does.

I stood up to look out into the backyard. It looked darker then it did earlier. Even darker then the clouds that loomed over Dead Mans Peak earlier that morning.

Emily: What do you mean don't remember?

The line went dead. The cheesy sound of electronic clicks blasted out from the speaker. The weather had likely disabled a cell tower just like the lightning storm from the summer had done.

I sunk back down onto the couch and attempted to turn on the TV. It was dead, too. The lights soon followed and I was left home alone in the dark with no way to contact anyone.

I sat on the couch enveloped by darkness and thought. I wondered what Grayson was doing right now. 'Maybe thinking about me. Oh I hoped he is!' I whispered to myself. I allowed my mind to drift. To get lost in the sea of pitter-pattering rain that hit the roof. His eyes were all that I could see. His lips were all I wanted to touch.

His lips! I was knocked out of my trance when I remembered Grayson's lips. The kiss he left on my gash, the shinny silver tinted liquid that sept from the wound. How it healed itself. How my skin stitched itself back up.

"I must be crazy!" I thought to myself as I walked towards the downstairs bathroom. "I'm absolutely off my rocker. I'm going to go insane."

I slowly crept the door open and kept into the bathroom and kept my head down, careful not to catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror.

"Don't expect anything good, Em. It's still going to be there."

But it wasn't. A hairline scratch was the wounds replacement. I officially knew I was crazy when I caught myself thinking Grayson's kiss had healed me.