Chapter 13

"I swear she doesn't like me." Dean hands the crying bundle to Cas. Once she's in Cas' arms her cries taper away.

"That isn't true," Cas smiles down at the beautiful child he now calls his. This is only her third day at her new home and Cas is already in love. "She's in a new place it's a bit scary for her, just give her time."

"She cries every time I hold her." Dean huffs and plops on the couch next to Cas. "All day while your at work she cries and poops, and occasionally she sleeps. I don't know how to get her to stop crying." He watches as Cas expertly cares for the child.

"What did your mom do to get you to stop crying?" Cas asks as he rocks Mary. It's nearly time for her to sleep.

"I don't know, I was a baby." Dean shrugs. "I'll go make her bottle." He stands and leaves the room.

Mary babbles as she stares up at Cas.

"Aren't you so pretty," Cas smiles. Mary notices his smile and the corners of her mouth go up, returning the smile. She reaches her tiny hand up touches his face.

Dean returns with her bottle.

"You wanna try feeding her?" Cas offers.

"She's just gonna cry again." Dean sighs.

"Just try." Cas hands Mary over. Dean gingerly holds her and attempts to give her the bottle. She starts to cry.

Dean looks up at Cas in desperation.

"Just rock her." Cas stands and caresses Mary's face. Dean tries to do as Cas says, but Mary keeps crying and holding her arms out to Cas.

"Take her," Dean shoves her in Cas' arms.

"It takes time Dean." Cas says as he starts feeding Mary the bottle. He can tell Dean is upset.

"Just face it, she hates me." He grumbles.

"No," Cas watches her eyes drift shut as she sucks on the bottle. Once he's sure she's asleep he takes her to her room and lays her in the crib.

He goes back to the living room and cuddles next to Dean on the couch.

"So I have to chaperone the dance coming up on Saturday." Cas says.

"I know," Dean responds. "Can you bring a plus one?"

"What about Mary?" Cas asks. He has been seriously considering letting Dean come.

"Benny's girlfriend is great with kids, very trustworthy." Dean answers immediately.

"You've already thought about it?" Cas chuckles.

"Well, yeah, I know there's a slim chance you want me to come. You never let me go to your school functions." Dean sighs.

"It's not that I don't want you to come, it's just all my students will be all over you." Cas smiles. "But maybe this time i will allow it."

"Really!" Dean gets excited.

"Yeah, I mean I can't hide you forever." Cas sighs.

"Oh man, this is great!" Dean smiles.

They stay on the couch for a few hours until they are too tired to talk.

***

The baby monitor belts out the cries coming from Mary's room. Dean blinks his eyes open. Cas groans. One look at his peaceful sleeping form, Dean hops up and rushes out of the room.

He flips Mary's light on.

"Hey, sweetheart, what's wrong?" Dean asks softly as he scoops her up. She continues crying. "Shhh, hey it's okay, I'm here now." He rocks her softly in his arms. Something sparks in his mind . A memory from when he was very young.

His mother used to sing "Hey Jude" to stop him from crying. She did it when he was scared as a young child.

So without hesitation, he starts to softly sing "Hey Jude" to his crying daughter. As he sings, Mary stops crying. She stares up at him.

"Yeah, there you go!" Dean smiles. "There's no need to cry." His heart melts at the sight of her in his arms, not crying.

"You know," Dean starts speaking softly. "Me and your dad love you very much. I never thought I would be a good father, I was scared. But not Cas. He wanted so badly to have a kid. He's a teacher, has to be around other people's kids all day, so I see why he would want one." Dean walks around her room, as he talks and rocks her.

"He's amazing, you are lucky to have a dad like him. He's an amazing cook, not as good as me, but he's still good. Can't wait till you can eat actual people food, not that mushy mess." All the while Dean is talking, Mary stares up at him, transfixed.

"He always wanted to be a teacher. Ever since I met him. And when I met him he was the dorkiest person I had met. But he was so freaking cute. Across the gym in that homecoming dance. I knew he was the one for me. He always got strait A's never missed school, he was my perfect little dorky angel."

Mary coos.

"Yeah, I know, he's great. I love him so much." Dean can tell Mary is getting tired.

"Time for bed kiddo." He smiles. He softly starts singing again. It isn't long before Mary's eyes drift shut.

He kisses her forehead then gingerly sets her down in her crib. He drapes her pink blanket over her. He stands there staring at her for a few moments. Maybe this whole dad thing won't be too bad.

He finally flips her light off and goes back to his own room. He crawls into bed and wraps his arm around Cas.

"Like I said, just give it time." Cas says.

"You're awake." Dean states. "How much did you hear?"

"Not much, just the last bit." Cas rolls over and looks at Dean in the dark.

"I love you too." He kisses Dean. "You're going to be a great dad." He relaxes next to Dean. Dean feels his breaths get deeper as Cas falls asleep. Dean smiles. His life is perfect. He kisses Cas' forehead and let's sleep take him.

Thanks for all the love and votes. And thank you @slayerintheimpala04 for the cute idea.