Chapter 24

It is a very important day in the Winchester household. Cas and Dean have been getting ready for it the past month. Balloons are set up everywhere, of course out of Mary's reach. Banners and signs hang on every wall in every room.

Of course they're gonna go all out for Mary's first birthday, they weren't around for the first six months so they're making up by going all out for her first birthday.

Mary is ecstatic, she's getting all kinds of attention and there's pretty new decorations everywhere.

Cas is currently in the kitchen, frosting the cake. It's bright pink frosting on vanilla cake.

Dean saunters in, carrying three wrapped boxes.

"Presents are wrapped." He announces, setting them on the tableclothed table.

"Good job, you've gotten better. Where's Mary?" Cas comments on his work. He used to be the worst at wrapping presents. Dean comes up and wraps his arms around Cas.

"Mary is in her playpin, playing with her moose." Dean explains. "So we have a little time to ourselves."

Cas rolls his eyes.

"You have a little something on your face." Dean comments.

"Oh what?" Cas goes to reach up.

"Me." Dean presses his lips against Cas'. Cas smiles at his husband's actions.

The doorbell causes them to pull away.

"I'll get the door." Dean grins and saunters out. "Mary, Uncle Sam's here!" Dean shouts after he opens the door. Mary shrieks.

"Hey, Cas." Sam pokes his head in.

"Hello, Sam. Glad you could make it." Cas nods.

"Wouldn't miss it for the world. It's my niece's first birthday. What kind of uncle would do that?" He smiles and slips out, only to be replaces by a pretty blonde girl.

"Hey, Jess!" Cas smiles.

"Hey! Need some help?" She walks in, coming up to him. The cake is halfway done.

"Sure if you want." Cas moves to the side. They work together to finish the cake. More hurts start to arrive when they finish.

Charlie and Dorothy come, bearing a large present in the back of Dorothy's truck. Gabriel shows up, and moments later, so does Cas' friend, Balthazar. A baby's birthday party isn't usually his kind of scene, but he hasn't had the chance to meet the daughter of his best friend, so he came. And finally, Bobby shows up with a guest.

"Adam, hey," Dean awkwardly pulls his younger half brother in for a hug. Dean hadn't known about Adam until a few years after he graduated high school. They aren't very close, but they try for the sake of them being family.

"Hey Dean." Adam nods. "I heard about the accident and all. Are you alright?"

"Yeah," Dean chuckles. "Seeming how it's been three months since I woke up, I'm great. Where have you been?"

"I was traveling, no cell service. I actually just got back last week." Adam explains.

"It's uh, it's good to see you." Dean nods.

"Yeah, oh I got your kid something." Adam hands them a slightly wrinkles pink birthday bag.

"Thanks." Dean smiles. Adam returns the smile and shuffles off toward Sam who is currently holding Mary.

"The boy was nervous on the way here. Thought maybe you guys would be mad he never came to visit Dean." Bobby murmurs.

"Of course we aren't mad. I was too worried about Dean to even think of anything else." Cas reaches over and grips Dean's hand. Even though it's been three months since he woke up, Cas won't let Dean leave anywhere in the car without him. He even gets anxious while he's at school and Dean's at home.

Now that everyone is there, the party starts. Not that there is much going on, but Mary is ecstatic and that's all that matters.

Dean is watching Jess paint Mary's fingers. Charlie is trying to get Dean to let her paint his nails. Balthazar is willingly letting Dorothy paint his bright pink.

Everyone else is snacking and drinking. Gabriel sidles up to Cas. He's munching on some M&Ms Cas left out in a bowl.

"Family's been asking about you." Gabriel comments.

"So." Cas shrugs. Gabriel's really the only one he's on good terms with. Everyone else either hates him or his husband. And he didn't need that negativity in his life.

"Just letting you knew. They wonder why you didn't tell them you have a daughter." Gabe continues.

"If they actually cared, maybe I would have." Cas sniffs.

"That is good logic." Gabriel nods. Silence blooms between them.

"Winchester jumbo size looks really good." Gabriel says with a smirk, eyeing Sam.

"Gabe, he has a girlfriend." Cas sighs.

"Yeah, I know, but it won't hurt to look right?" Gabriel grins. Sam notices them looking his way. Gabriel sends him a wink. Sam frowns and quickly looks away. The look Cas is giving him causes Gabriel to raise his hands up. "I'm no home wrecker. I'm just having a little fun." He chuckles and prances away.

The doorbell rings. Cas frowns and leaves the room to answer the door. They aren't really expecting anyone else, so Cas isn't sure who it is.

He opens the door and is surprise to see who is standing there. It's one of the last people he'd expect to be on his doorstep, and he is not very happy about it. On the contrary, his heart races at the sight of the person.

"Hello, Castiel."