Chapter 36

So sorry for the wait guys. My friends house has no internet and I post when I can. Here's the next chapter!

Cas stands and walks into the hall. Dean is standing by the front door, which is currently shut.

"What is it?" Cas asks cautiously.

"See for yourself." Dean steps aside, gesturing to the door. Cas grabs the doorknob.

He looks back and Dean is gone. He frowns and opens the door. He is utterly speechless.

"Hey, Castiel."

"Dad, what are you doing here?" Cas stares in shock at the short man before him.

"It's Christmas, and I wanted to see my son." He smiles.

"You hardly ever seemed to care about any of us growing up, why care now?" Cas folds his arms.

"I realized that I wasn't the best father, and I want to make up for it." Cas' dad bows his head. Cas stares at him in silence.

"Okay, come in then, dinner should be ready soon." Cas invites him in. "There's someone I'd like you to meet." Cas leads his father to the living room.

"Mary, sweetie, come here." Cas calls. Mary looks up at her father. She stands and makes her way to him. He picks her up. "Dad, this is Mary, my daughter, your granddaughter." He turns to his dad. "Mary this is grandpa."

"I didn't know you had a daughter." He looks at Mary in curiosity. "She's beautiful."

"Hello, Chuck, sorry for shutting the door on you." Dean smiles politely.

"That's okay," he waves Dean off.

"Dad," Gabriel approaches Chuck,

"Hey." Chuck nods.

"Have a seat, relax, dinner won't be ready for a bit." Dean gestures to the seats in the living room. Gabe settles back on the couch next to Sam. Cas and Dean share the love seat. Chuck chooses the recliner.

"This is a lovely home." Chuck comments. He had never been to their house. He almost didn't go to their wedding. Cas really never made an effort to see his father because he never made an effort for Cas.

"How old is she?" Chuck asks as they sit. He watches Mary as she plays with her toys. She keeps glancing at him curiously, she's never seen him before so of course she's going to be intrigued.

"A year and three months," Cas and Dean answer in unison.

"How long have you had her?" Chuck asks.

"We got her when she was six months. We couldn't be any happier." Cas sighs happily.

"I'm pretty happy too!" Gabriel says, linking his hand with Sam's.

"You and Sam, huh?" Chuck smiles fondly at Gabriel.

"Yeah, I guess us Novaks got a thing for the Winchesters." Gabriel jokes.

"Yes you do." Chuck grins.

"So, pops. Why the sudden change of heart?" Gabriel's tone is more serious than Cas has ever heard.

"I-" Chuck pauses. "Your brother, Lucifer, recently sought me out. We made up, after all this time, we finally made our peace. And this got me thinking of you guys. I was never a good father, I know that, but I thought if Lucifer of all people can forgive me, then anything could happen. I knew that I had to come to you. I wanted to be a better father, I know now it's fruitless to try to be a dad now." Chuck pauses.

"But I see now I can try to be a grandfather." He looks around. He probably didn't want to have to explain himself in front of all of theses people he doesn't know; Benny, Andrea, Adam, Bobby, etc. An awkward silence fills the room.

"I think the ham is done." Dean hops up. He rushes out.

"I love the ham Dean bakes, it's so good." Gabriel sighs. The awkwardness seems to lessen.

"Food's ready!" Dean calls. They all stand and head to the kitchen. For the occasion Cas and Dean brought in another table and more chairs.

Everyone sits down at the tables. Dinner runs smoothly with light talk
"So, Chuck," Bobby starts. "Where's the missus?"

"She left us not long after Cas was born," Chuck says solemnly.

"So you raised all those boys on your own?" Bobby asks.

"Not very well, I practically raised Cassie all on my own. Michael was too busy fighting with Lucifer who was also fighting dad here." Gabriel sniffs. His dad may be trying now, but he still resents all the years when all he knew was fighting and harsh words.

"And I will never forgive myself." Chuck sighs.

"How is Lucifer, I haven't seen him since my wedding." Cas asks.

"He's changed, you would hardly think he's the same person." Chuck responds. Again silence falls.

"Papa, nog!" Mary calls in the quiet.
"You want eggnog, sweetie?" Cas asks. Mary nods vigorously. Cas stands and moves to the fridge. As he gets up, Dean stands also, though he leaves the room completely. Cas hands Mary her sippy cup of eggnog. She hums happily as she drinks it. Dean returns moments talk later carrying his camera.

"Since Cas wanted to show you all my life behind the camera, I thought I'd show you my Christmas dinner." Dean grins at Cas. "You all know my beautiful husband and daughter."

Cas gives the camera a little wave.

"That's Bobby, he practically raised me. Chuck, that's Cas' dad. You know Benny and Andrea, his girl." Dean introduces everyone.

"And here we have Gabriel, Cas' interesting older brother." Dean ends his introductions on Gabe.

"Don't listen to anything this guy has to say, he isn't really funny." Gabriel grins.

"Always so great to talk to this guy." Dean chuckles, shaking his head. "All the food on this table was made by yours truly. I put blood sweat and tears into my cooking."

"Oh god, I would hope there isn't any blood in here!" Benny exclaims. Dean laughs lightly, shutting down the camera.

"So you still do the videos?" Chuck remarks.

"Yeah!" Dean smiles. "I have millions of fans."

"That's great, it's good you are doing what you love." Chuck nods.

"Yeah, Cas is pretty great." Dean smirks.

"Oh my god!" Cas smacks Dean's arm. "Dad I'm so sorry you had to hear that." His face turns bright red.
"That's okay," Chuck huffs a laugh.

"It's not a real Christmas dinner with out a few inappropriate comments." Gabriel grins, wiggling his eyebrows at Sam.

"Please don't," Sam groans.

The nights runs much more smoothly and way less awkwardly after this. They all spend the rest of the night drinking and sharing stories.