Chapter 17

I'm so sorry guys.

Cas listens as Benny speaks into the phone. It seems as if his whole life is being torn down. Sirens can be heard in the background.

"We left the bar, I didn't drink as much as him., so I was driving. We stopped at a stop light. When it turned green, I went forward, and a semi comes out of nowhere and smashes into the passenger side. We didn't even see it coming. The car went flying." Benny is nearly sobbing.

"What happened to Dean? Is Dean okay?" Cas can't handle the stress.

"I don't know? I pulled him out of the car. He won't wake up and he's bleeding and I don't know what to do." Benny whimpers. "They're going to take us to the hospital, meet us there." Benny hangs up.

Cas starts hyperventilating. Everything was going great. They were happy and fine.

He rushes to Mary's room, grabs pants and her car seat. He puts her pants on her and carefully lifts her and sets her into the seat. He grabs his phone and keys and rushes out to the car. He is holding back his tears that are threatening to spill.

Once Mary is properly secure, he peels out of the driveway. He unlocks his phone and calls Sam.

"Hello?" Sam answers groggily, as if he'd been sleeping.

Cas can't even speak. He knows if he does he's going to break down and cry.

"Cas? Hello?" Sam says.

"Dean-" is all Cas can say before cracking. He has to pull over to the side of the road as he lets his tears flow down his face. He lets out nerve wrenching sobs.

"Cas, what's the matter?" Sam shouts.

"Dean was in an accident." Cas finally bursts out. "We gotta...he's at....Benny.... hospital." Is all he can get out. Mary starts whining in the back.

"Okay, I'm on my way, be careful." Sam hangs up. Cas makes himself stop crying. Dean could be fine.

He continues on his route to the hospital. He gets there and rushes inside, carrying Mary's car seat.

Just as he is about to walk inside, Sam rushes up to him.

"Sam," Cas whimpers. Sam hugs him.

"Let's go see if he's okay?" Cas can tell he's trying to be strong.

They go up to the desk.

"Dean Winchester, man in an accident, where is he?" Sam demands.

The nurse behind the desk rattles off a room number and Sam and Cas zoom away, not wasting any time.

Andrea is already there.

"Where's Dean?" He demands.

"He had to go into an emergency surgery. His lungs started to fail. I'm so sorry." Andrea hugs him. He punches her off gently.

"Please don't, it's going to make me cry. He will be fine, he has to be." Cas' voice warbles.

"Of course he's going to be okay, he's a Winchester. Winchesters can always make it through tough times." Sam tries to reassure.

"Cas, let me have Mary, I don't want too much stress on you." Cas hands over his sleeping child.

A doctor approaches them.

"I have an update on Dean Winchester." The doctor says in a deep voice.

"I'm his husband!" Cas steps forward, his heart pounding.

"He's able to breath on his own now, but he has slipped into a coma." The doctor explains. "We aren't sure if he will survive the night, his lungs may collapse."

"You can't let that happen." Cas sniffs, nearly about to cry.

"Of course not, he will be under constant supervision through the night by either me or the nurse." The doctor responds.

"Can I see him?" Cas asks.

"Of course, he's in room 66." The doctor gestures to a nearby room.

Cas nods. He motions for Sam to follow as he goes into the room. There are two beds only one has an unconscious form in it. Cas moves to the bed and nearly sobs.

Dean is laying there, a tube in his mouth and and IV in his arm. Soft beeps come from the machine beside him.

His face looks cut up and bruised, as do his arms.

"Dean," his voice cracks as he gets to the bed.

"It's okay, Cas. He's going to be fine." Sam sniffs, his eyes are now watering.

Cas can't believe this is happening. He has to be dreaming. He must be still on the couch, sleeping. But deep down he knows he isn't. This is real, no doubt about it.

A babies cry can be heard from the hall.  Andrea comes in with Mary, who is crying.

Cas takes her and clutches her to his chest. Her cries lessen as her father holds her in a comforting embrace. Andrea sets the car seat down on the floor.

"I'm going to see Benny." Andrea slips out of the room.

Cas lets his tears slip down his face. There's no point in holding it in. Sam sees this, and his tears flow too.

"We need to stay strong." Sam sniffs. "For Dean."

"For Dean." Cas nods.

"Mr. Winchester," the doctor enters the room. "I need you to fill out some paper work."

"Okay," Cas hands Mary off to Sam and follows the doctor out. The doctor explain what each paper is and has him sign.

"And you are his first contact, who would be the second, if you can't be reached?" The doctor asks.

"Sam, his brother." Cas fills out the necessary information for Sam to be contacted.

"Okay, we have no idea when he could wake up. Sometimes it could be days or it could be weeks. If he doesn't wake up, would you want to keep him on sustained life?"

"Yes, absolutely." Cas nods.

"Okay, that's all we have for now. You can go back to your husband."  The doctor stacks the papers and walks off.

Cas makes his way back to the room. It all seems so surreal. Like it's one big cruel joke. But he knows, it's all real, as real as him, as real as Mary. He just hopes things will be better.