III

A Public Place

Fiona

The sun was beginning to set as I rode on Cake's enlarged back. Gumball rode Mono and fiddled with some gadget.

We just finished helping Turtle Prince with his library. It was boring and quiet, but Gumball seemed to have a decent time.

The only light that shone now was the big, full moon. I felt a gust of wind that almost knocked me off of Cake, like some kind of force. I slowly pull out my sword.

I hear a squeak and I whip my head around towards Gumball. I hear him giggle.

"What's going on?"I ask him.

I hear a familiar male's laughter and I soon begin to smirk.

"Marshall Lee!" I laugh, playfully punching him as he floats by.

"Hello, Fi." He says, flicking the ears on my hat. He pats Cake, then floats in the middle of Cake and Mochro. I can hear Gumball and Marshall's faint whispers.

"I don't think it's a sword this time." Cake mutters to me.

"What do you mean?" I whisper to Cake.

"They're up to somethin', I know it." She huffs, I feel her tail frizz.

"You always say that!" I laugh, patting her back.

"I know, but they seem to always be together, now. You think Marshall showing up and talking to him is just a coincidence?" She huffs again.

"Um... Yes?" I squeak.

"Ugh! You saw them when they gave you your sword, right?" She groaned.

"Yeah? And?"
"They were actin' all... Goopy!"
"So?"

There was silence for a while until Gumbal spoke.

"Is everything alright?" He asked.

"Yes." I answer, glaring at Cake.

I notice Gumball's blush in the moonlight. He hides it by looking down. Marshall is as pale as always, although his lips have color.

Maybe he just ate?

No. Gumball says vampires only gain some sort of blood flow when they feast on actual blood. Marshall drinks red.

But why is it only his lips?

Stained from cranberry juice, perhaps?

No. His lips are slightly pale... And swollen, not crimson.

His lips are swollen and pink. He's been spending more time with Gumball. Cake's onto him and she's usually right about most things.

I gulp and clutch onto Cake's fur tighter, feeling as if I might fall over.

I lean closer to Cake.

"Cake, I think you might be right..."

"I told you!" She hurrumphed.

"They seem happier, though."
"This is just a phase."
"They're hundreds of years old."
"They'll grow bored of it."
"But they're happy."
"So?"
I sigh, loosening my grip on Cake's fur. "It's best if they're happy now." I simply say.

The rest of the ride home was quiet. Not even Marshall or Gumball spoke. We arrived at the Treehouse and we wished each other good night.

Cake went straight to bed and I secretly stayed by the door, seeing if I could eavesdrop on their conversation.

As they walked to Mochro, I could barely hear Marshall say "Am I staying at your place?"

I bite my lip, hoping to hear Gumball's response.

"Of course!" He coos. I heard a sound similar to a kiss. I peak out the window to find Marshall's arms around Gumball's waist and Gumball's around Marshall's neck.

I watch Marshall help Gumball onto Mochro and they were off. I slide down to the floor and I feel tears welling up in my eyes.

I really liked Gumball.

But he's gay. Glob, I should've known. He's a freakin' twink for Glob's sake.

I blink back the tears and trudge up to my room. I shed my clothes and crawl into my bed, thoughts swirling through my mind about the two boys.