X

A Room in the Abadeer House

Gumball

It took forever, but I did it. I cleaned Marshall's entire house. By the time I was finished, A puffy-eyed Marshall floated into the living room, his hair still damp.

"Hey." I said, trying to smile as bright as I could.

"Hey." He rasped, glancing around his home. "You cleaned for me?" He asked, blushing a very pale pink.

"Y-yeah... I made you some cupcakes too..." I whispered, my face getting warm.

"Thanks." He numbly said, floating towards me and bringing me into a hug.

He was so... Small.

For once, I was the bigger one. He was always the tall and lanky one. Now he seems shorter and even more skinnier than he already was. His tight jeans that were always several sizes too small could probably fit him properly now.

"How about I make you some fruit salad?" I suggested, gently pulling away from his small grip.

He nodded, then vigorously shook his head. "Everything is probably rotten." He muttered.

"Nonsense, I stopped by the Grocery Kingdom on my way here to make you a meal anyways." I smiled, patting his drying hair.

He followed me into the kitchen and he picked out the fruits while I gathered my supplies; a bowl and a knife.

"Is this enough?" He asked, holding up a bag of cherries, a container of strawberries, and another container of raspberries.

"You tell me." I grinned. "There's some blood oranges and grapes too."

"Grapes are purple."
"These were kind of a reddish colour." I said, holding up a bag full of grapes.

Marshall nodded and set the fruits on the counter, watching me chop them up and toss them into the bowl shortly after.

"Everything is red inside and out, except for the grapes." I said, finishing up the snack. "So just drain them, ok?"

"I think I know how to eat." He scoffed, taking the the bowl and a fork.

"Eat slowly or you'll throw up."
"I know."
"No you don't, Marsh."
"What makes you say that?"
"You always pig out!"
"I do not!" Marshall pouted, fruit globbed up in his mouth.

I sighed and sat down beside him at the bar. I watched as he continued to take small and slow bites of the food, draining the grapes and tossing them back into the bowl as he went.

"So what do the foods taste like after you've drained them?" I asked, eyeing his pile of grey orbs in the bowl.

"Dunno, never tried." He responded, shrugging and continuing to eat.

"Well has anyone tried for you?" I asked.

"If so, I don't really remember..." He sighed, finishing up and stirring the grapes around.

"Is it alright if I try?" I ask.

"Knock yourself out." He chuckled, handing me a few grapes. I stared at them for a while before I popped one into my mouth.

It was like a big, flavorless raisin.

It was slightly shriveled so it still had a bit of juice in it. And it tasted pretty bitter. However, the bitterness was very faint. If someone like Marshall, who just ate, were to try it, they wouldn't taste anything.

"How is it?" He asked, interrupting my thoughts.

"Peculiar..." I said, rolling the remaining grapes in my hands.

"Do you like it?"
"Not really..."
"What's it taste like?"
"Semen.... But sweeter..." I replied, hiding my hot face. Marshall bursted into laughter. His face was turning a light shade of pink and tears were forming in his eyes.

"Oh my glob, Barty." He breathed, huffing and puffing. "Does it really taste like that?"

"Kind of..." I whispered, still hiding my face.

"I wonder if it tastes like that for everything else." Marshall murmured. He stirred around the grapes and plucked out a forgotten strawberry. He pressed it to his lips and drained the colour. After that, he handed it to me.

I popped the small chunk in my mouth and began to chew.

"Hmm this one tastes different..."
"What's it taste like?"
"I can't put my finger on it."
"Well, is it bitter like the grape?"
"No not really. I guess you could say it's tastes stale? Yet really sweet..." I murmur, still trying to savor the taste for inspection.

"I guess they do have a flavor. Plus they taste different." Marshall shrugged.

It was silent for a while. I felt like asking him if he felt better, but I know the answer would be 'No'. At least, the real answer.

"Thank you, Barty..." He mumbled. "For helping me out." He looked down at his hands.

"It's no problem. I enjoy mothering you." I laugh, earning a slight blush in return.

"Aren't you sad?"
"About what?"
Marshall furrowed his brows and his eyes became glossy.

"Fionna." He said. "Do you even care?"

"Of course I do! Why would you say that?" I cried.

"You don't even seem sad. I haven't even seen you shed a single tear." He mumbled, which sounded similar to a growl.

"Do you think she would've wanted us to dwell on her? Yes, it's important that we remember her, but I'm sure she wouldn't have wanted us to be so glum. She would've wanted us to move on and cherish the times we've had with her..."

I heard Marshall whimper and I realized he was crying.

"Oh, Marsh..." I sigh, pulling his small form into a warm hug. "It's going to be okay. Death happens all the time. It's like... Eating. And sleeping too. You know?"

"Yeah, I guess." He sniffled.

"It's going to be okay, Marsh."