VIII

The Forest

Fionna

I smelt bacon.

I open my eyes and sit up. I rub my eyes and crawl out of bed, dressing myself for the day.

I stumble down the ladder and find Cake in the kitchen. BMO was sitting at the breakfast table with some sort of chart.

"Whatcha cookin?" I ask groggily.

"Just some bacon and eggs." She shrugs. "If you want toast, there's some bread in the pantry."

I nod and scuttle over to the cabinet. I rummage through the small cupboard and pull out a loaf of bread. I begin to pluck the pre-sliced pieces and set them in the toaster.

"Sleep well?" Cake asked, dumping the eggs on a big plate.

"I've slept better." I shrugged. "You?"

"I had a dream that Mochro went missing, isn't that nanners? No one seemed to care..." She pouted, setting the table.

I collect the toast and set it on a plate. Cake takes the dish and sets it in the middle of the table. I grab the butter and jam.

BMO takes their chart and scuttles out of the room. Cake and I sit across from each other and begin to eat.

"So what's the plan for today?" I ask through a mouthful of bacon.

"Nothing that I know of. Maybe we could go see Flame Prince?" Cake asks, hesitantly.

"Sounds good." I nod. Good. A break from those fags.

I gulp.

Why would I think such a thing? I thought. I wash the thought down with some orange juice.

Flame Prince's mountain -or kingdom- wasn't that far from the house.

When we reached his mountain, we saw him perched at the top with his little critters.

"Flame!" I called out to him. He smiled and glided down the mountain.

"H-hello." He stuttered. (He was still learning English)

"What's up?" I ask, Cake coming up beside me.

"Just..." He searched for the right word. "Bored." He eventually said. "It gets lonely here."

"Wanna go on an adventure?" Cake asks.

"Adventure?" He asks, his face becoming contorted.

"Yeah." I say.

"What is this adventure?" He asks.

"Dunno yet." Cake shrugs.

Flame's face scrunches up even more.

"Sounds... Boring."
"What?!" I exclaim.

He stands there silently. He looks dazed.

"We should get going, Fi." Cake says, breaking the silence.

"You coming?"
"I'll pass for today." He shrugs. Then he takes off, leaving a trail of flames behind him.

"Why is everyone being so weird?" I groan.

"Dunno." Cake shrugs. "It's kinda scary..." She adds.

We walk around the fields and Cake eventually stretches into a bigger form and plops me on her back. We find Flame's trail.

"Should we follow it?" I ask Cake.

"Seems risky."
"How?"
"He's a hothead, man."
I scoff and jump down from her furry figure.

"I'm following it." I grunt, pointing to the trail.

Cake sighs and shrinks back into her usual figure.

"Lead the way." She sighs again.

Marshall Lee

It was daylight now and I had to make a damn umbrella out of a tree. A tree.

I carefully walk through the grassy fields towards my caves, cutting through a small forest as a shortcut.

I see Cake puff up in the distance. She's flailing her noodle arms and fire is being spat in various places.

I quickly float -practically flying- to the scene and find something no one. I mean no one should see.

Flame Prince is killing Fionna.

AN
Hello! I don't like to make Author's notes between chapters but I just wanted to clarify that the only time a chapter has two points of views is when shit's about to go down.