XII

A Public Place

                     Marshall Lee

Humans are extinct now.

Fionna was only seventeen. Or maybe eighteen. It's been so long. She could've had longer. Much much longer. She could've gotten married to a decent man or woman and had a child. Just to keep at least some human blood going.

I could've saved her. If only I were there in time before her precious body was burned to a crisp. I could've changed her. But I couldn't have risked that. It took so long for me to ween myself off of blood.

Maybe I should've changed her.

I broke my habit last time. I could've done it again, plus save my friends.

Now Flame Prince and the last human on Earth are gone. To be honest, I don't even know how that fire hazard died. Maybe he just exploded from his own flames? I wasn't there. Neither was Cake. We were too busy trying to save Fionna.

Later on I heard that Flame died.. But obviously no one would tell me why. I feel so bad. He basically had no one. Except for those little flame kittens that would follow him around like little ducklings. They were actually pretty cute. I would've stolen one if I weren't a walking oily rag.

I wonder where they are now. Are they still perched upon his mountain still waiting for him to come home? Did they hear the news and burn out from grief? Did the snow murder them all?

Crowley, I hope not. I hope they're okay.

It's morning now.

I've been walking around aimlessly all night. I could've floated, but I'm so weak, I'm surprised that I was actually able to walk the whole night without dropping to my knees and passing out.

Which is what I did now.

Except I didn't pass out. I was completely conscious as I lay face-first in the snow. I turn my head a little and watched the sun rise and the snow fall.

Vampires will be extinct now. I've lived long enough. I've seen more than enough. I've found and made love. I wish I could've had a child, though. However, you can't have your cake and eat it too when you're gay.

I'm content. Soon, I'll be even happier in Glob World with Fionna. If only Barty would come. That would be great.

"Marshall, what are you doing?" He said, crunching through the ice trying to get to me. I feel him scraping the snow off me soon afterwards.

I didn't say anything.

"Marshall." He said, pulling me up and tossing something warm on me. A blanket or maybe a coat.

I still didn't say anything.

"This has to stop." He groaned. "What's wrong with you, Marshall? Why are you acting like this?" He began to shake me.

"Humans are extinct now." Was all I could say. More like... Mumble.

"Yeah. They are, aren't they?" He sighed, pulling me close to him.