30 DAYS BEFORE THE INTRUSION

"I KNOW!" Garred said, my dad had a furious temper. He threw his phone on the couch.

"Garred, CALM DOWN!" My mom, Maggie said. "What happened?"

"What happened? Is that what your asking me, you—" I saw his hand flash and then a loud SLAP!

It cracked through the silent house. My mom's hand went up to her face.

"What! Garred, I'm gonna take Ellie and Claire and we're gonna go far, far away from here. From you."

"You can't, you stupid woman! I run this family, I have all the money, and I own you. Without me you would be NOTHING! DO YOU HEAR ME! YOU WOULD BE NOTHING!" Yelled Garred, he doesn't even deserve to be called "my father".

"No right man hits a woman! You coward! I will only stay in this house because I don't want our kids to fall apart."

Garred shoved my mother onto the couch.

"Listen to me! You can leave all you want, but I will make everyone hate you. Everyone!" My dad left in a rage, slamming the front door behind him.

My mother slumped down onto the floor and she cried a waterfall of tears. I went over to her and embraced her, telling her everything was going to be okay.

I guided my mom to my room and she fell asleep on my bed. I sat in the beanbag chair and watched her fall safely to sleep. Later, I curled up right next to her and fell asleep, wishing my dad would leave forever. I never ever wanted to see his face again, that disgusting serious face again. I was sick and tired of him.

I never wanted him to come back. I hated him. He disgusted me. How he treated me with such anger. How he hated my mother. How he would hurt my mom, both physically and emotionally.

My dad burst into my room.

"Maggie, come here now!" He screamed.

I hugged my mom and she hugged me harder. A tear escaped from my eyes as I felt my moms soft tears drizzle down her face onto mine. Garred slammed the door and screamed for Ellie. He was heading for her door. I stood up, fast, and raced towards him. I grabbed him but he pushed me off.

Then he slapped me. Right across the face. A big, nasty, horrible slap.

He slapped me. He, the man that.. that I thought loved me, slapped me.