16 DAYS BEFORE THE INTRUSION

I don't skip school today. I am tired of having to be worried about projects. I am thinking about just quitting school all together and never having to worry about that. But you know what keeps me from quitting school? My mom, Ellie, the ones I love. Ben, everyone. Everyone except for Garred. I want to go to school so I can at least be smart enough to know what do when we leave Garred for sure. I also want to help Ben with anything he ever needs and if I don't go to school, I might not be able to help anyone or anything. Going to school is essential to my survival and I will not let anything get in that way.

I see Ben walking up to me and I try to ignore him, but it's so hard to when he brings a smile to your face. It makes you happy, so of course I have to talk to him.

"Hey."

"Hi," I say smiling at him. Something is wrong with Ben.

"What's wrong?" I ask him. I am really worried about him right now.

"George moved."

"Oh, I am so sorry. Here, come here," I come over to him and hug him. I can tell that he didn't put in his cologne today. He still has George's sweater.

"Were?" I ask.

"He moved to California."

I open my eyes really wide and ask him if he knows why they moved.

"Oh, his mom found a job over there that was better than the job here."

"Oh," is all I can say.

I hug Ben even more and pat him on the back, telling him it will be okay and that he will find someone else.

I never really met George except for the one day that I saw him in Pre-K. I said hi but that was all. I guess it's really hard for Ben since it hasn't even been a month and he is already gone.

Ben and I move towards our first period class and when we enter, all the seats are taken.

"Um? Can we sit?" He asks once he realizes this.

"No. You have to stand," Mrs. Lola says. Then I realize she was joking because she started laughing. She guided us to the back of the room where there was an extra table for two.

"You really thought I was going to make you stand," Mrs. Lola kept on laughing.

"Haha. Very funny," I said, faking a smile.

Ben wasn't even talking and I don't blame him. Something like this is really hard and sometimes you need your space. That's what friends are for: being with you and sometimes giving you space when you need it. A good friend knows when to give you that space.

At lunch, Ben sits right next to me but he becomes really quiet. Usually he will be the loudest one at the table and always making the jokes but today he is just down.

"Was it something I said?" Asked a girl named Veronica that sat at out table.

"No. He just needs some space right now," I smile at her. She says okay and walks away. While she is walking away, she pats Ben on the back.

"Hope you get better," she smiles.

When school ends, Ben follows me to my car and gets in.

"Um, Ben?" He looks at me and I know what he wants. I smile and start the car.

When we arrive at a Dairy Queen, he jumps out and smiles. We enter and we order to large vanilla shakes and some french fries. Just like when we were small kids. We would order medium shakes with french fries and dip the fries into the shakes. It was heaven.

We eat our shakes and fries in the car and laugh a little at some jokes that Ben has to say.

I drive him back to the parking lot to drop him off to his car.

I tell him that tomorrow is Ellie's birthday and if he wants to do anything.

"Yeah sure! I will totally be there!" He laughs and goes to his car. I wish I could tell him about Garred. I wish I could because I feel I have no one to talk to and I might explode. I'm scared... I need someone to hold to. I can't be alone in this dark time of my life. But I am alone and there is nothing I can do. Did you see how he lied to the police and hit me? I don't want that happening to Ben, never!

I drive back to my house and see my 11 year old sister. It's so exciting to see her grow up so fast since she is already going to be 12! It's so exciting but sometimes it really makes me feel old.

I enter the house and it's extremely quiet. Garred is not home.

I smile and a piece of me becomes really happy. Please, God, make him never come back.