14 DAYS BEFORE THE INTRUSION

"I will transfer the money to your account just do not let your Garred know what we are doing."

"I know," Maggie told Patty.

Garred was still gone and Ellie was knocked out asleep from all the sugar we had. I was sitting on the stairway listening to the conversation unfold in the kitchen.

"I will let you pick which day you are going and how. I will just transfer the money that is all. I love you so much, Maggie. I hope you are okay."

I heard the beep of the phone hanging up and I went downstairs to talk to my mom.

"Mom, I will help you if you need any help."

"Honey, I love you, thank you for everything you do to help. I know you are trying to do do your best to help us with everything. I love you."

My mom came and hugged me. She started crying and tears started falling onto my shirt. I started to cry too and then Ellie came to the doorway.

"What are you two crying about?" She asked.

"Oh, nothing. We were just talking about how much we loved each other."

Ellie smiled and came to hug us. Last night she was so tired that she had fallen asleep in my arms. The owner of the restaurant gave  me a blanket for her since she was so cold. Ben drove us home and I thanked him so much. I had drove him back to his car when I dropped Ellie off to sleep.

Ben and I had kissed once again, but this was just a friends kiss. After 13 years of being friends, I don't think a simple kiss is going to affect out relationship. We were simply best friends and nothing was ever going to change that.

Maggie prepared us some delicious bacon with eggs. I loved her when she looked so young and happy cooking for us.

Ellie ate the eggs gracefully and she dramatically slid out of her chair saying she was so full. I told her to thank mom and she raced over and she said thank you to my mom.

My mom looked up to me and I knew what we were both thinking... We were both wondering how on Earth we were going to carry out this plan with Ellie knowing as little as possible. It would be a nightmare if Ellie found out, she would want to talk about it and you know, just like every 12 year old would do. I don't blame her, but we still need careful with this plan in fear that Garred will find out.

Garred gets back home with a pack of beers. Just for him, he buys everything for him. My mom has to buy the groceries and she has to make sure that she keeps the house clean for all of us. But no, Garred doesn't put that on his mind. All he has on his mind is money and beer. Garred is an alcoholic  if you haven't figured out yet. It's just that he it's really good at hiding it from him. Just as if there was a kid and you had a box of cookies on the table: he would eat them but then he might deny that he ate them or something else. That is Garred, that is exactly Garred when it comes to beer and drinks. He has a drinking problem and it is really hard to fix.

Maggie sits down at the table and stares at the floor. I feel really bad for her, I know how she feels. She feels useless, hopeless, unwanted, dull. I glare at Garred's back and hug my mom. She smiles and I can catch a teardrop dribble down the side of her cheek.

"Claire, I love you."

Instead of responding, I kiss her on the head and leave. I love you too, I say in my head.

I go to my bed and just let myself fall on it. I bounce back up but then I sink into it. My eyes start to get heavy but I don't want to fall asleep. I stand up and go onto my phone.

Hey.

Hi, Ben responds quickly to my text.

What's up, Ben?

Nothin'

Hmm. Sounds like fun.

Hahaha, it would be funner if you were here.

It would. I can't leave my house.

Why?

My dad.

Can you call?

No. I'm sorry.

It's ok, I hope you're okay.

What do you mean by you "hope"?

I was just saying that I hope you are ok. Why? Is everything ok?

Yeah, everything is fine. I'm just really bored.

Tell me about it!

Haha. Ben, I GTG. I'll see you later.

I set my phone down on the table and slide myself into bed again.

I drift off to sleep.