15 DAYS BEFORE THE INTRUSION

"Happy Birthday!" I scream into Ellie's room. The air has seemed to lift up and have a happy feel to it.

She jumps up and throws the pillow at me and starts laughing. I grab her and guide her towards the kitchen with her eyes covered.

"Where am I going?" She asks.

"Somewhere," I respond.

In the kitchen, I let go of my hand from her eyes and she gasps. Sitting on the kitchen counter is my mom. My mom is holding a very special cake that says "Happy B-Day Ellie!". It's the best we could do. Garred was still gone somewhere that we did not know.

Ellie started jumping up and down all over the place and she hugged me while crying tears of joy. This brought happiness to my heart because for the past two years we could not get a cake because Garred never let us and we only had one car. Garred had the keys. He was a selfish man, and he still is but he has gotten worse. Seventeen years is a lot, worse when the man is a complete—

"Mom! Thank you so much! I love you!" She raced over to mom and gave her a gigantic hug. I smiled and winked at my mom. I was so happy that we got to have these moments like this. I was so happy that God listened to me.

Garred never came home and I started to wonder what he was doing but after a while I decided that I did not care where or why he had left.

The morning passes by in a happy manner with us going to the park and having fun. Life was so good, watching Maggie and Ellie run in the grass and I smile a wide smile. After that, we go to the bookstore and read some funny books with Maggie and I have never in my life felt so happy that we were here all alone. I was looking for a book when my phone rings.

Hey! So you up for tonight?

I look and I find out it is Ben who texted me. I totally forgot that we were going to have something together with Ben tonight. It was a surprise to Ellie.

Ah! I forgot! Uh, is tonight at two o.k?

Yeah, sure. Uh, where do you want to meet?

I was in the middle of typing when my phone rang again.

Uh, don't do anything, I have a surprise! ;)

I smile and start wondering what the surprise is. I can't believe that Ben cares for us so much that he is kind enough to make a surprise for us. I love Ben, he is so amazing. He is older than me by a month so I look up to him in a sense. He is like my role model. His hair is just so amazing and his smile is the best.

At seven, I receive a new text from Ben.

2:30 pm reservation at The Garden Family restaurant. You're welcome in advance! :) <3

Omg!!!! Thank you so much!!! ILY soooooo much!!!!

Wow! The Garden Family restaurant is far ways from here but it is sooo good! I've only been there once in my entire life. I remember their "sumptuous breakfast" and their amazing homestyle soups. They have amazing people that are really nice and the atmosphere is very happy, just like I like the atmosphere to be!

I knew a little but about their restaurant like about how it was started in 1985. I want to bond and make friends with them. They seemed really nice. Maybe they could help Ellie become a little happier.

At 2:30, I arrived at the restaurant and it was fairly small. I love small places because they feel like a cozy home.When we walked in, they were ready with our table and Ellie was jumping up and down because she had never been here before. I was shocked to see how happy she was.

Ellie sat down and we all ordered. I ordered a a crispy chicken salad and Ben ordered a Hot Italian Sub. Ellie gets a Deluxe Chicken Grille. According to her, it was going to be the best food she has ever eaten.

When our food arrives, my mouth starts watering. I see my salad and I can feel it is cold. After this, I think I will like everything cold. Cold water, cold everything. The salad is fresh and the chicken is tender delicious.

"How's your sub?" I ask Ben.

"Delicious!" He squeaks.

"Ellie, how's yours?" I asked.

"Same as Ben!" I laugh at that.

When we finish, there is yet another surprise for us waiting. The owners bring a cake out and it has "Happy Birthday Ellie :)" in gel across the top. Wow, more sugar for us! I lean in and kiss Ben on the cheek.

"Thank you so much, Ben. You are such a good friend," I hug him.

Ellie is not listening to us and she plunges into the cake.

"This is the best birthday ever!" She screams.