Why?

The following pieces of text are all written by Jade Thirlwall, a 21 year old university student.

-(•)-(•)-(•)-

Why couldn't it have been me who was bullied in the hall?

Why couldn't it have been me who changed her life in a bathroom stall?

Why couldn't it have been me who was severely depressed?

I would give everything up just to ensure you have the best.

-(•)-(•)-(•)-

Why wasn't I the one who cried in class?

Why wasn't I the one who helped you pass?

Why wasn't I the one who looked as pale as a ghost?

I would do anything to be yours when you need me the most.

-(•)-(•)-(•)-

Why haven't I walked up to you today?

Why haven't I had the courage to not be so afraid?

Why haven't I seen the pain that you were in?

I would have done anything to ensure you had a friend.

-(•)-(•)-(•)-

Who is that guy I saw with you today?

He looked like he was hurting you, I should have saved the day.

Why do you trust everyone you see?

If I had my way, it would just be you and me.

-(•)-(•)-(•)-

Why do I have to be so unbearably shy?

Why can't I converse with you just once, eye to eye?

How do I stifle my anger anymore?

Especially when I saw you fall straight to the floor.

I nearly lashed out right then and there, nearly took that guy by his slimy, greasy hair.

That man should not have touched you, Perrie Louise. He really should have known not to mess with me.

I waited till late afternoon, when the final bell had rung. I took that stupid guy outside by his tongue.

I slammed him up against the hard concrete walls, I made plenty sure to tell him how what he did was wrong.

I left without a single scratch, not a single injury. That guy had surely learned not to mess with me.

That guy left with skin all black and blue. I had given him a stern "talking to".

His face was red and puffy, his arms down at his sides. He knees were weak and wobbly, and he had a nice black eye.

I clawed and scratched and scraped and tore. I made certain he wouldn't mess with you anymore.

You see, you mean too much to me, so I can't let that slide. Had I not learned self-control, that guy surely would have died.

-(•)-(•)-(•)-

There's something I should tell you, Perrie, something you ought to know. You see, I had known you many years ago. I met you on the playground on the sunniest of days.

As soon as I laid eyes on you, my troubles went away. I never forgot you, but I doubt that you know me. I kind of disappeared after I reached age thirteen.

No one ever talked to me, I never made new friends. I was still hung up on you, I believed there was no end.

I thought we were forever, I thought that we would last. But much to my dismay, our friendship ended fast.

I always reminisce on the few good times we shared, I never will forget your silky golden hair. You became special, a permanent part of me.

Even though I thought that I'd never see your face, when I saw you recently, my mind made no mistake. This was the real you, no frauds, no fakes.

Happiness bubbled from my bottom to my top, oh how I had missed you, such an awful lot. You always meant the world to me, this I cannot change. No matter what, there's still one thing to say.

-(•)-(•)-(•)-

I have an urgent thought, a thing I must confess.

Perrie Louise Edwards, I tried my very best. I wanted to stay strong for you, but I just couldn't last.

So the day you see this may be my very last.

My soul longs for you, my heart beats in my chest. It tells me that I'd never be the best.

It tells me that I'm wrong for you, that I'm not what you want. But surely by now you know that I'm never so up-front.

In my mind, you are an angel, pretty as can be. I am a lowly peasant, but you could be my queen.

There is one thing, however, one thing to change my mind. One thing that will ensure that I'm not left behind.

All you have to do, Perrie Louise, is come and talk to me, pretty pretty please.

I want to catch up, I want to remember. I want to revisit what we had that December.

I want to relive, I want to revive. I want to keep our memories healthy and alive.

I want to be your friend again, Perrie Louise. I want to protect you, to be the only one you need.

I want to be your guardian, just like we were before. I want to have a reason to love you even more.

Thank you so much, Perrie, for all you've done for me. Thank you for being my friend when no one else would. I love you.

-(•)-(•)-(•)-

Perrie tightly clutched the notes and ran as fast as she could, straight to Jade's dorm, praying that she was in her room. When she knocked on Jade's door and received no answer, she nearly cried out in agony.

"F**k f**k f**k!" Perrie cursed, angrily slamming her fist on the wall, wincing from the pain. She then ran to the football field, wondering if Jade would have hidden behind the bleachers. When she reached the bleachers and found nothing besides a couple nearly getting it on, she held back vomit as she checked somewhere else.

By the time the university was nearly deserted, Perrie had lost all hope in finding Jade. She had checked everywhere, from the science lab to the basketball court. Suddenly, Perrie had an idea. She ran to the parking lot in front of the school and looked for a car, grinning from ear to ear when she spotted one besides her own. Most of the school partied on Fridays, with the exception of three or four people, Perrie and Jade included.

Perrie bounded towards the car, her gaze locked on the windows. When she was close enough to see inside, she let out a sigh of relief. She had finally found Jade. Perrie pulled the car door open and grabbed Jade's hand, making her jump up and hit her head on the roof of the car.

"Oww!" Jade whined, rubbing her head. "What the h**l?" Jade glanced up at Perrie and her eyes nearly fell out of her skull. "P-Perrie? Y-you actually went looking for me?"

"Of course I did. I'm not going to leave someone alone just because we aren't close anymore. I'm here for you, Jade. I don't know why I ever let you go in the first place." Perrie whispered, leaning closer and closer to Jade's face. "I don't know why I never did this," Perrie paused and pressed her lips to Jade's, calmly placing her hands on Jade's shoulders. She pulled back a few seconds later, smiling. "When I had the chance."

"There really are a lot of things in our lives where just have to stop and ask ourselves, 'why?'."