Chapter 14

I slow to a stop in front of the Frosty Palace. No one's hung out there since the Bowl-A-Rama opened, but I still stop here occasionally.

"What are we doing here?" She jumps off.

"I told you, we're hanging out!" I exclaim.

"Louis," She sighs, "I really don't think this is a good idea-"

"Well, I do," I interrupt her and grab her hand. She makes a funny noise, "I'm not holding your hand or anything. Geez, calm down."

She doesn't speak so I lead her inside. As expected, it's basically deserted, but that's alright.

Her face lights up as soon as we step behind the doors, "Gee, I haven't been in here for almost a year."

"Let's eat, okay?" I smile, and we take a seat in one of the booths.

"What can I get you two?" Vi, the waitress, asks for our orders.

"Mmm, can I have a large vanilla milkshake with chocolate syrup on top?" Chloe says immediately.

"And you?" Vi turns towards me.

"I'll take the same," I say, then quickly add, "But no chocolate syrup!"

"Okay, that'll be a few minutes," She says and then leaves.

"No chocolate syrup?" Chloe asks, "What is wrong with you?"

"Me? You're the one who likes chocolate syrup!"

"There's nothing wrong with that!"

"Yes, there is!!"

"Whatever," She says, "So everyone's wondering what the hell happened at the bowling alley the other night."

"Oh..." That. I can't tell her what really happened! "You know Sharon... she gets mad over every little thing..."

"She said she watched you do something," Chloe recalls, "I heard her."

"I don't know what she was talking about."

"Lou, tell the truth."

"It was nothing, I swear."

"It didn't look like nothi-"

"Here you go," Vi sits our milkshakes down one at a time.

"Thanks, Vi," Chloe smiles at her as she walks away.

I take a sip of my milkshake, "Well, what about you and Shakespeare? Are you guys dating or somethin'?" I better change the subject before she brings up Sharon again.

She chokes on her drink, "What?"

"I just thought since you guys were talking a lot more that-"

"That what? Does that automatically mean we're dating?"

"Geez, sorry, I didn't mean to offend you or nothing."

She doesn't say anything.

"Let's blow this joint, okay?" I say, pulling out a couple dollars and throwing them onto the table.

Chloe follows me out and we get on my cycle and I drive away.

"Where are we going now?" She shouts over the loud drone of my cycle.

"Somewhere!"

And that somewhere ends up to be the beach.

"I don't have a swimsuit," Chloe says when we arrive, "We can't go swimming."

"Can, too," I say, throwing my jacket to the ground.

"What are you doing?"

"I don't know about you, but I''m going swimming," I say, pulling my white shirt off. I start unbutton my pants when she throws her sweater off. I can't help but watch her.

She shimmies out of her skirt and throws her heels in the sand. I pull down my pants, toss my shoes aside and follow her as she runs into the water.